New meat mutt for my breeding program

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayna

Reaction score
This is Ashley aka Doe #4

She's 8 weeks old. New Zealand with 1/8 Checkered Giant tossed in there. Who knows what else. lol

Anyway, I weighed her and she's a good solid 3 pounds. I need a better scale, I have a postal scale for ounces and 2 people scales. All three put her right around 3 pounds.

Is that a good weight for an almost 8 week old? I think she's 7.5 weeks today.

Her sister that I was also going to buy (but didn't) had a swollen vent? I put her right into quarantine. The lady thinks she pushed too hard when trying to sex the rabbits because she didn't know how to sex. She had thought this one was a male. And she's def not!

So 30 day quarantine? Any other suggestions about keeping an eye on her health?

newdoe.jpg

Cool new bunnies! Who did you buy them from, was it Samantha by any chance, she has mutts like that a lot? I guess when in doubt quarantine just in case, you are really supposed to do it for any new rabbit.

Her name is Ellen and she's in Nanawalle. I'm getting a palamino from her friend tomorrow. (shes driving her friend around to do errands and will grab the rabbit for me).

I was just too worried to bring home that other female. Her vulva was sooooo swollen! I was worried about some weird disease... This one "seems" healthy enough. I've got her quarantined in the lanai in a dog kennel. I'll just keep her in there for 30 days or so and then move her into the area where I keep my girls.

"Hobart" makes an excellent "hand-held" digital scale for weighing fish. Most any bait and tackle shop should have a set.

Pounds and ounces.....not pounds and tenths. They go up to 50 pounds. You can use the "tare" button to zero the bucket holding the rabbit.

Pretty darned cheap and they hold up really well. I've had my for several years and use them almost daily in the rabbitry.

grumpy.

I just bought an infant/toddler scale to use to weigh mine now. It weights up to 60 pounds so I am definitely covered on the high weight even if I were to weigh our dog, lol.

She is really pretty and so interested in people! It amazes me what a little socialization when they are young does to help make sweet buns!

Hmmm sad face. Quarantine is always a good idea. She's peeing bloody pee today....

Suggestions? Thoughts? Advice? I prefer to treat at home whenever possible.

Dayna, the red/variously colored pee can be caused by a change in feed/hay/etc and shouldn't be anything to worry about. Keep an eye on her the next few days to make sure :)

:yeahthat:

Rabbits pee in a rainbow of colors, and people often mistake the dark orange/red urine for bloody pee.

dayna":2on577pd said:
I prefer to treat at home whenever possible.

Most of us do too, especially those of us that have production herds. Most vets have limited experience with rabbits in any case, so if you ever do need to consult a vet, make sure to find one that specializes in them.

Okay, I will keep an eye on it. Obviously since she's in a new home her diet changed. I never had this happen with my other rabbits so it kinda worried me a bit. :)

Back