New litter, but with minor issue.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy9

Reaction score
Just had a first timer doe kindle this afternoon, but she seems a bit confused. I've got a couple doe that like to sit in the nest box like it's a comfy sofa, and she's one of them. She sits in there, munching on hay. I knew this morning she was going to kindle because she was starting to pull fur, so I went out to check on her, and she was just sitting in the box eating hay. It hadn't been long since she'd kindled, the afterbirth was cleaned up, but I found two dead kits, still warm. :( I'm pretty positive she squished them.

So the nest box is out for now, I will put it in with her later while I do chores at about 7:00. Does this seem like a good time frame? They were active, and warm, I'm pretty sure they'd had something to eat because the bellies were semi full.

This was actually our largest litter so far..........12, had they all survived. So, 10 live, and 2 dead. I still say, I don't like these large litters, I'm perfectly happy with a nice litter of 6 or 7, but I am thankful for what we are given. :)

I think you handled it correctly. If she is going to sit in the box, there are going to be squashed kits sooner or later. If you have an extra nest box and there is room in the cage, perhaps she can have one for lounging. Even a dollar store dishpan full of nice hay may entice her. Once she has claimed it, there is a good chance that she will not sit on the kits in the other one... unless the hay is better there!

Another thing that may help if you have an ongoing issue with does doing this, is a nest box with an extra-deep hood. If the kits are well up under the hood and there is room in the rest of the box for the doe, there is less likelihood of them being stepped on.

No guarantees on these ideas, but they are things I would try if I were having this problem. ;)

She seems to have figured it all out, thankfully! When she jumped in to feed, the kits were pretty squeaky, and I think she realized they were in there now. I watched her for quite a while last night, with the nest box in, and although she would go look in the box like she wanted to jump in and sit, the squeaking and movement deterred her from doing so........other than to feed of course. So I took a chance, and left the box in, and went out before bed to check on her. She's doing great, everyone seems happy, and fed at this point. Can't ask her for more than that.

Here's the new litter. :)

IMG-20111027-00442-1.jpg

Usually when they get active and eating the does don't want to sit in the box because they get mobbed the whole time.

with does like that, I give them an extra big nestbox. Saves the litter, lets them have their own 'particularity'. There are those who say for does like that give them an smaller than normal box, but what does it harm to give them one that is extra big? (at least that's my thinking)

Thanks ya'll!! :D And thank you for the great info akane and ladysown!

I have a doe that does that with every litter. I lost the first litter due to her peeing on them and they got too cold and died. I realized that she just doesn't like wire floor of her cage. I tried giving her a resting board, but she makes a big mess of it right away, then won't sit on it. So now, a few days before she kindles, I put her in either a stall, or a big house rabbit cage with shavings. It works great. There's plenty of room for her and the nestbox, and I don't have a problem anymore with her urinating in it (unless I put the box in too early)... When the kits don't need the box anymore, I put the doe and kits in the wire cage--more sanitary.

Latest posts

Back