New Kits, Nursing Mom, What to feed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izroion

Reaction score
So my doe had her litter today! I didn't have time to count this morning but it looks like 6-8 healthy brokens! A bit small maybe as it's her first litter but she made a great nest. She literally pushed all of her bedding, and hay to the cornor and stuffed the box full and covered the entrence lmao She covered them with hair which was a concern of mine, as its been chilly. My question is, what should I be feeding her? She currently is getting oats with BOSS, Alfalfa cubes, a mineral block and a good sized pile of grass/weeds per day (Creeping charlie (Limited as I've heard conflicting information), crabgrass, lambsquarters, and a bunch of dandelion). The rabbits also get some of the veggie scraps (Baked potateo, squash, brussel sprouts, ect.) but not too much to make a big diffrence.

If she is doing well on what you are feeding, don't change it ...
Keep watching her condition, as lactation uses a lot of calories.
If she begins to lose weight, feed a little more of the boss, and alfalfa.
Make sure she has as much feed as she wants while nursing.
Looks to me like... the diet "may" be short on long stem fiber,
If it were me,I would make some grass hay available to her.

Pictures?

Feed her as much as she can eat, especially around week three and four. After that she will start weaning the kits and the demand on her will grow less, but still keep her stuffed full since she will probably need to regain condition. The babies will start eating solid foods around then, so keep them fed as much as they'll eat as well. They should be eating as much as they want up until about six months or so. A bit longer for the bigger breeds since it takes them longer to become adults.

I"m the odd one out. I do not feed my does as much as they can eat. I measure feed everything. First week the does get a double portion. Second week three times... that continues till week four when I give one portion and then a half portion per kit. Starting week five a full portion to everyone in the cage plus one.

If I full feed... does get fat. I don't want fat does.

The odd doe's condition will demand more feed, in which case I give it, but only an additional portion. If I see a kit being pushed aside and losing weight, I add an extra portion and a small bowl for that kit.

I find the kits grow just as fast using this method.

So I can't figure out how to upload an image for some reason. I'll post pics through a hosting site. She seems to be feeding them, they all had full tummies this morning. They're starting to grow fur and have almost doubled in size already! The mom seems to be keeping her weight okay with what I've been giving her, and she seems to be a great mom so far! She's been pulling more fur on colder nights as well.
Pics are day 1, and two from today.
https://ibb.co/DGJLtCs
https://ibb.co/SVh7qjb
https://ibb.co/n0QXWPY

When can babies start eating greens? I didn't realize mine were leaving the nest yet and caught them sneaking some of the does dandelion greens. Currently a bit over 2 weeks old

When can babies start eating greens? I didn't realize mine were leaving the nest yet and caught them sneaking some of the does dandelion greens. Currently a bit over 2 weeks old

Anytime, if the doe gets fed greens. Just give the kits access to the does food, or give them the same.

They get their first set of gut bacteria from the doe, they can stomach whatever she eats.

Back