new kits and freezing temps

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rapidrabbit

Reaction score
maybe i am just being an over protective parent here, but this is my first winter with pregnant does and new kits.

winter is here and temps will be getting down into the low 10's over the next 30 days. I have two pregnant does (due Dec1 and Dec11) that I have brought/will bring inside (insulated pole barn) for birth and the first several weeks of life, then move them back out to the shelter. I have read that this is not needed as long as the does have good outdoor shelter, good cages with a wind block. I do have that, but also want to ensure that the kits have a good chance at survival. Again, first winter with new kits.

I had an old table with wheels and took off the top, added rubber roofing to catch all droppings, and mounted two 'houses' to the top - one is a 2x3 dog cage and the other is a smaller rabbit box. outside of the smell that will come from the waste, what else do I need to be concerned with? this is only for 30ish days until the kits are more apt to be outdoors in their grow out cages.

thoughts? anything I am missing? going overboard?

fresh air - shed is 40x60 with multiple overhead doors and exhaust, so getting in the occasional fresh air blast is not out of the question.
artificial light - planning on a led shop light overhead for 12-14 hours a day

thanks!

Attachments

• 20221129_144621.jpg
    20221129_144621.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221129_144635.jpg
    20221129_144635.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221129_144645.jpg
    20221129_144645.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221129_145020.jpg
    20221129_145020.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221129_145100.jpg
    20221129_145100.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
That looks nice!

I don’t know what size holes they have, but you might need to add some additional small wire around the outside of those crates to keep the kits in. It’s amazing how capable of escape kits are, from a young age.

That looks nice!

I don’t know what size holes they have, but you might need to add some additional small wire around the outside of those crates to keep the kits in. It’s amazing how capable of escape kits are, from a young age.

thanks, almost forgot about that. I used the same cage over summer for a mom and kits, and they were popping right through. in this case, they would have fell down into the poop pan.

A nesting box full of hay is what we use. But may be kinda cold for newborns.
Only because it popped into my peebrain. Moving the pregnant do I've had issues with stressing the doe. Moved her pen , don't know if it was because she was near the buck or exactly what. She threw her kits soon after. And had them outside the nesting box. I believe I was stress.
Just wanted to share an experience.
Good luck n Merry Christmas

ahh, that is one thing I did not account for...stress. mom 1 is due in a couple days and I just brought her into the new environment yesterday. Should have allowed more time to acclimate to the new accommodations. mom 2 is due on the dec 10 so I brought her over today in hopes that she will have time to relax before kits come.

thanks

Latest posts

Back