New from Kempner Tx

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Folks, we are John and Marie from Kempner Tx area. We live on a little homestead with 9 rabbits, 6 chickens, 1 rooster, 2 geese, 6 ducks, 34 quail, 1 Breaded Dragon and a spoiled Boston Terrier lol. We was raising bees till robber bees wiped us out.
Anyway we are happy to have found this site and be reading all the comments about how the heat has been effecting breeding for we was worried it was just us. So hopefully we will learn a lot from others here.

sorry to hear you lost your bees. Can you get back into them or now that robber bees are around is it a lost cause?
We was going to get back into into it this year but the heat kept us from taking that leap again so hopefully next year we will. But as long as you have any wild bee hives around your area as we do you will always have robber bees. We will just have to take better precautions next time.

Welcome. That's a good crowd you have there. Are you breeding your rabbits?
We hope to be. We have been trying to get started out. We had three females and two males but lost several females when this heat started. We have a male and female we got together and the male had mated with one of the females we lost and had kits together. So now he lives with a young female we have and they get along great but haven't had anything. We are guessing due to this heat. We picked up 9 rabbits recently which are 5 adults and 4 young ones so we hope to breed them

We hope to be. We have been trying to get started out. We had three females and two males but lost several females when this heat started. We have a male and female we got together and the male had mated with one of the females we lost and had kits together. So now he lives with a young female we have and they get along great but haven't had anything. We are guessing due to this heat. We picked up 9 rabbits recently which are 5 adults and 4 young ones so we hope to breed them
Your buck can be sterile from the heat. what are you doing about the heat?
Hello from Moody Texas!

Hello Moody Texas,
The only thing at this time we are doing is frozen water bottles, of course our regular water bottle that are attached to the sides of the cages but we put a big water open water container from the dollar store in the middle of two of the cages and they like to lay right up against it. I put a hugh shop fan in front of one of my cages with a male and female in it. I hope to get more fans. Plus I build the cages on the back side of our carport to protect from rain, wind and gives afternoon shade and we have a big tree that gives some shade. Other then that just pulling what hair I have left hoping to make it to cooler weather then hopefully breeding.

Hello Moody Texas,
The only thing at this time we are doing is frozen water bottles, of course our regular water bottle that are attached to the sides of the cages but we put a big water open water container from the dollar store in the middle of two of the cages and they like to lay right up against it. I put a hugh shop fan in front of one of my cages with a male and female in it. I hope to get more fans. Plus I build the cages on the back side of our carport to protect from rain, wind and gives afternoon shade and we have a big tree that gives some shade. Other then that just pulling what hair I have left hoping to make it to cooler weather then hopefully breeding.
You can add floor tiles 12x12 in your cages wet them down the water evaporates and cools the tile . Depending on the relative humidity you can get a twenty degree drop On the stone.
what breed do you have?

We have a couple Californian, then a few mixed Californian/Lop Eared, couple New Zealand. I have some extra squares of large ceramic floor tile I was saving for a small man cave I was going to build but I could use some in their cages to lay on to feel the cool feel from like they are doing against the pan of water. Thanks for the he idea 💡

Oh, sorry to hear it. Hope it works this time. Do you mean 5 adult females?

I don’t do this , but I think in the heat the rabbit is better on the ground where he can dig in, if he can get to soil he can get cool.
came up with a concept where you bury a box two feet deep, with a convoluted tubing attached large enough for the rabbit. In the corner of the box is a piece of 4” pvc set vertical , this for the frozen water bottle. In the still air of the chamber the cold would settle in the bottom and be nice and cool for bunny. The box chamber could be a Portland / styrofoam blend to make it light and strong.

Our rabbitry is a 6x7 building that is insulated we put a small window unit in to keep the rabbits cool , we have a doe and two bucks, and five kits Californians. All,pet poopers!😀

Welcome from Arkansas! We've had a long HOT, dry summer too. Thankfully I never lost any rabbits. I do frozen water bottles, fans on the hottest days with no breeze, ceramic tiles upside down(thanks Big Mac, I didn't know to turn them upside down until you had made the comment a while back lol) and I add a little electrolytes to their water.

Our rabbitry is a 6x7 building that is insulated we put a small window unit in to keep the rabbits cool , we have a doe and two bucks, and five kits Californians. All,pet poopers!😀
Wow. Big Mac that sounds neat. You have an air conditioner in your rabbitry? How hot does it get? Where are you located?

Back