New from Alaska

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ottterducks

Reaction score
I am just starting my research on raising meat rabbits at my home in South Central Alaska. I'm interested in keeping one buck and two does, at this point, but I may increase that. I have to build their enclosures from scratch and want to collect the manure. Lots to learn, and I'm hopeful this is a good forum for doing that. Cheers!

Newby from Alaska again - I'm also interested in linking up with people in my area to learn what breeds work best and which breeds are available for my purposes. I see lots of pet rabbits available on AlaskaList, but not meat rabbits. So much to learn and digest.

if all you have available to you locally is pet rabbits, find the largest ones you can and breed them together. All rabbits are meat. you can gradually build up to a bigger breed, just always keep the ones that look more like meat rabbits then just flights of fancy. :) Dutch crossed with mini rex make excellent meat rabbits (just smaller sized).

Welcome, what sort of temperatures do you get in your part of the world? Also the amount of daylight you get at certain parts of the year might be a factor to consider.

Welcome, what sort of temperatures do you get in your part of the world? Also the amount of daylight you get at certain parts of the year might be a factor to consider.
What a lovely group; several people have posted helpfully.
I have to get my pens ready. Just taking a gander at AlaskaList, it seems like rabbits are like dogs -- always a plethora of attractive options.
Our weather has varied more this last winter than ever, but regardless of the weather, the sunlight goes from about four hours of light in January to ten hours in March. I'm going to hook up with someone who knows a lot and get advice as to exactly where and how to place my pens.

Howdy! I know I have seen an Alaska rabbit breeder's videos on Youtube. I believe she was raising Silver Fox outdoors. But Alaska is a big state- who knows how far away she would be to your location or if she even raises them anymore!

Back