Netherland Dwarf - Neutering Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelpesch

Reaction score
Hello,

I have two (roughly) 1 year old Netherland Dwarf rabbits. One is super passive and like to lick everything that comes near it, and the other is a little bit bigger, possibly a mix of Netherland/American, and is very flighty and cautious but still rather friendly. The larger one tends to nip the other ones butt and they start running in circles. Used to be much worse but now its fairly rare unless I put them both on my bed together then the fur gets pulled. They are both very energetic and will not sit on a lap or stay still for any length of time. I tried putting them in bed one night, one at a time, and they ended up running around sniffing stuff and being crazy for about an hour then the smaller one would lay down at the edge of the bed and if i said anything or moved it would jump up and run around licking and sniffing.

I'm fairly certain that neutering them will solve the issue of the nipping a few weeks after their surgery... but my question is will the neutering also discontinue the sporadic non-stop running behavior when we are just trying to sit with the rabbit and spend time rather than get tramped when they are doing laps. I would prefer if they were much calmer and more of lap rabbits but I can tolerate them enjoying themselves obviously but some days it would be nice to just have them sit there and watch TV.

They are very still when eating which is nice. To emphasize they aren't nonstop running scared, they actually get along with my house cats when we allow them to interact under heavy supervision, on very very limited occasion. They are not scared of anything including my vacuum to which they tend to run up and stick their heads in and get stuck if i put the hose down for a second. They are just crazy and super energetic and I'm curious if a spay will kind of calm them down and allow them to be a little more lap-bun like.

Thanks
Michael

Attachments

• IMG_2386.jpg
    IMG_2386.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2454.jpg
    IMG_2454.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2494.jpg
    IMG_2494.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2668.jpg
    IMG_2668.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 0
A lot of times Netherlands just don't get along, I haven't had any yet that have stayed together or haven't had spats/fights

I can't confirm what neutering would change but it'd probably be best to start separating them for a short about of time and seeing how they do

The sporadic running behavior is known as “zoomies” and is a happy sprint, along with a movement called a “binky” this behavior takes place when they are at their happiest. There really isn’t a way to stop this unless you purposefully make them depressed, but that’s obviously not very ethical.

The nipping is also normal dominance behavior, as long as there is no bleeding or excessive aggression (some nipping, humping, and chasing is normal) then they may be ok together. With that said, two male rabbits together/”bonded” is not natural. Colonies in the wild usually consist of one buck and about 5 does, very rarely will you see two bucks in the same territory as they are naturally territorial towards one another, and if you do it usually doesn’t last long.

One thing to keep in mind is that these are animals, on top of that they are not as domesticated or obedient as other animals (like a dog or cat). If you want a cuddly calm animals to sit and watch TV with you, a rabbit just isn’t it. As house pets rabbits are more of a ‘just their to exist with you and sometimes interact’ type of animal, more than a ‘will do what you want and listen to commands’ type of animal.

Not many people on this forum have experience with altering animals (this subreddit would probably be more help for nurturing info, or this forum take the info on these sites with coution as most of the people give information just go from what they have read/heared and have not actually tried and proven it). However, from what I have read the hormone change would work similarly to most other animals, in that you really don’t know what will happen. The majority of the time the animals will become very slightly calmer and less aggressive, but sometimes nothing changes, and sometimes it get even worse, you just don’t really know. I doubt it will change the running behavior though, as that is just normal happiness, and something that as a pet parents you should be proud of.

Side note: Neither of these rabbits look like Netherland dwarfs to me, they just look like small dwarf mixed breed. I highly doubt they have any American in them as the American rabbit breed is extremely rare and would most likely show a lot more of its characteristics (like its enormous size).

Rabbit behavior

If you want a lap companion to pet while watching TV, get a cat. It is not something rabbits are good at, also because a herbivore even if it is a pseudoruminant needs to spend way more time eating (i.e. being in a sense busy) then a carnivore like a cat does.

With that said, two male rabbits together/”bonded” is not natural.
I agree, however... the OP never ACTUALLY said that these are 2 male rabbits. They said neuter several times, but they also threw spay in there on the very last line. So, who knows what the actual genders are if they are using spay and neuter interchangeably.

The sporadic running behavior is known as “zoomies” and is a happy sprint, along with a movement called a “binky” this behavior takes place when they are at their happiest. There really isn’t a way to stop this unless you purposefully make them depressed, but that’s obviously not very ethical.

The nipping is also normal dominance behavior, as long as there is no bleeding or excessive aggression (some nipping, humping, and chasing is normal) then they may be ok together. With that said, two male rabbits together/”bonded” is not natural. Colonies in the wild usually consist of one buck and about 5 does, very rarely will you see two bucks in the same territory as they are naturally territorial towards one another, and if you do it usually doesn’t last long.

One thing to keep in mind is that these are animals, on top of that they are not as domesticated or obedient as other animals (like a dog or cat). If you want a cuddly calm animals to sit and watch TV with you, a rabbit just isn’t it. As house pets rabbits are more of a ‘just their to exist with you and sometimes interact’ type of animal, more than a ‘will do what you want and listen to commands’ type of animal.

Not many people on this forum have experience with altering animals (this subreddit would probably be more help for nurturing info, or this forum take the info on these sites with coution as most of the people give information just go from what they have read/heared and have not actually tried and proven it). However, from what I have read the hormone change would work similarly to most other animals, in that you really don’t know what will happen. The majority of the time the animals will become very slightly calmer and less aggressive, but sometimes nothing changes, and sometimes it get even worse, you just don’t really know. I doubt it will change the running behavior though, as that is just normal happiness, and something that as a pet parents you should be proud of.

Side note: Neither of these rabbits look like Netherland dwarfs to me, they just look like small dwarf mixed breed. I highly doubt they have any American in them as the American rabbit breed is extremely rare and would most likely show a lot more of its characteristics (like its enormous size).

Rabbit behavior
Thanks for the info, We have several cats in the house but I am allergic to cats/dogs so the rabbits worked out as good alternatives. To have in my room, they are great pets just still learning about them.

Thanks for the info, We have several cats in the house but I am allergic to cats/dogs so the rabbits worked out as good alternatives. To have in my room, they are great pets just still learning about them.
I have had a herd buck that would watch tv with me. He was large, and older, and had been ill for a while so he was more used to the indoors than most of my rabbits. He was basically the opposite of what you have.

With age and time one or both of them may settle down, but Netherland Dwarfs do not seem to have a reputation for mellow behavior. Your best bet to ease the zoomies is conditioning. If they wanna run put them on the floor. If they are being held or are on the bed they gotta be quiet and calm. This may mean you hold them less at first but with consistency you will be able to imprint on their little brains that beds are not for running. To make bed or couches not boring lonely places full of rules I would reserve some special treat just for that location, so that it is still fun for them to be there.

Also time quiet time for AFTER they have just had zoomies.

I have a young buck that will only cuddle when he feels like it, and an older buck that hates the pick-up but loves the cuddle, just don't stop the rump ictchs or you or going to be scratched at too. I would say give them time to settle and get them sex checked by someone that knows what they are doing and quick - before the buck fighting or litter of kits begin.

Great job on the zooms and binks, it is fun to watch HAPPY rabbits, just wait for the collapsing and dead flat rabbit. That is when you know they are completely at home and out to give you, your first heart attack of contentment.

Latest posts

Back