Nest box Removal.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JG3

Reaction score
How soon can a nest box be removed? We were going to remove it at 3 weeks, but the kits are 2 weeks and 3 days old today and keep jumping out. Only reason they can is because they stand on another to get up higher and out. LOL They can’t jump back in either unless standing on another. So there was one alone in the nest box because he had no one to stand on to jump out. Im just thinking I don’t want the others nursing while out and then the one stuck in the box not being fed because she already fed the others outside. Can they transition to living on wire now at 2.5 weeks? It’s warm weather so I’m not really worried about them being cold. There is a couple cool nights coming but only around 10°C or mid teens.

How soon can a nest box be removed? We were going to remove it at 3 weeks, but the kits are 2 weeks and 3 days old today and keep jumping out. Only reason they can is because they stand on another to get up higher and out. LOL They can’t jump back in either unless standing on another. So there was one alone in the nest box because he had no one to stand on to jump out. Im just thinking I don’t want the others nursing while out and then the one stuck in the box not being fed because she already fed the others outside. Can they transition to living on wire now at 2.5 weeks? It’s warm weather so I’m not really worried about them being cold. There is a couple cool nights coming but only around 10°C or mid teens.
I take the nestbox out around 2 to 2.5 weeks with our New Zealands and they do fine (1×1/2 inch floor wire). Like you said, I worry that they won't all get fed when a few jump out and can't get back in quickly enough for feedings. I usually give them a nice pile of hay for a few days in the spot their nestbox had been in so they can snuggle up in it to transition, but this probably isn't even necessary.

I take the nestbox out around 2 to 2.5 weeks with our New Zealands and they do fine (1×1/2 inch floor wire). Like you said, I worry that they won't all get fed when a few jump out and can't get back in quickly enough for feedings. I usually give them a nice pile of hay for a few days in the spot their nestbox had been in so they can snuggle up in it to transition, but this probably isn't even necessary.
Thank you! Mine are New Zealand too, crossed with Cali and Flemish Giant. Same measurements for the floor wire too. I’ll likely remove it then, if not the next couple days. There was always the odd one that got out the last few days and we just put back, but they are all escaping Now. LOL

You can put a piece of wood in front of the nest box for them to get back in and move some of their nest/straw at the front of the box for them to go out.
As long as there is a nest box in my cage, the mama always goes in it to nurse her kits.

At about 1.5 weeks or so (basically, as soon as eyes start opening) is when I turn my nest boxes on their side, rearrange the nest partly in the sideways box and partially on the floor of the wire cage (wire floors are fine for them to be on), take out soiled straw, add fresh if necessary, etc. This way everyone still has a nest, but those bright curious little ones who are not satisfied with well enough are now safe to pass in and out of the nest. I totally remove nests by 3 weeks. Too many eye issues can develop if the nest is left too long.

Thanks everyone.

My nest box style can’t be turned on it’s side, the floor is removable and would just fall on them, and even though I keep adding hay, I have no idea what they do with it! it keeps disappearing. I don’t know if mom is eating it (cause I really don’t think they’d be eating all that LOL) or it’s just getting so trampled It’s flat. Not a clue! I’ll see if I have a small cardboard box to transition, but if not, they’ll have to suffice with some hay in that corner where the nest was.

Why aren't all of them able to escape? I have three kits in a nest box and all three of them are able to get out

I turn my nest boxes even with the removable pegboard bottom. Sometimes there is enough nest to hold it up and sometimes I take a stainless steel zip tie and run it through the holes and around a couple of side cage wires. Love those SS zip ties. It's hard to get them as tight as a plastic one without a special tool but they are strong. We use them a lot since discovering their existence.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P9NBHRC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

just tip it on it's side, I do that just past when their eyes open in the nice weather. They huddle in the nestbox as long as you don't clean it out too thoroughly. Needs to smell of home. then when they do get wander-lust they can come and go as they want.

Thanks everyone.

My nest box style can’t be turned on it’s side, the floor is removable and would just fall on them, and even though I keep adding hay, I have no idea what they do with it! it keeps disappearing. I don’t know if mom is eating it (cause I really don’t think they’d be eating all that LOL) or it’s just getting so trampled It’s flat. Not a clue! I’ll see if I have a small cardboard box to transition, but if not, they’ll have to suffice with some hay in that corner where the nest was.
I have the same nest box set up as you, and you CAN turn it on its side. Initially, I had the same concerns with the floor falling upon them. The floor board will come forward and stop “falling “ once it hits the top of the nest box, so it creates a little “cove“ for them. If you’re really worried about it like I was at the beginning, you can put a small piece of wood in at the top big enough to hold the floor in place, but I have found that to be totally unnecessary. I’m not home right now, but if you want photos, I can share in a few days.

Latest posts

Back