Nest Box Heaters- how and when?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuddyFarms

Reaction score
Do any of you use or know of someone who uses nest box heaters? Or have reasons you have decided not to use them? I am curious about a few things with their use…

What temps do you start using them in?

What types of nest boxes do you use them with (wood, metal)?

Do you put them in the boxes under the bedding or under the boxes (would under the box even work for wooden boxes?)?

Do you prefer to bring the boxes inside during certain temps instead?

Hope we can get some good conversation going about this! Thanks!

Where have you seen nest box heaters? I didn't know they exist.
I wouldn't put them under the rabbits or under box. Because a) They'll get soaked in urine, as it drains from the box, I am guessing, and b) They can't get away from the heat if they're too warm on it.
I was thinking of building one into the side of my nest box, protected by a thin wall between it and the kits. So they can snuggle up next to the warm wall, but get away from it if they're too warm... The style of box I was thinking of using for this is a nest box that attaches to the outside of the door of the cage, it hangs on there. So the cord for the heater won't be exposed to any chewing.
What are your thoughts on this? Just an idea.

Do any of you use or know of someone who uses nest box heaters? Or have reasons you have decided not to use them? I am curious about a few things with their use…

What temps do you start using them in?

What types of nest boxes do you use them with (wood, metal)?

Do you put them in the boxes under the bedding or under the boxes (would under the box even work for wooden boxes?)?

Do you prefer to bring the boxes inside during certain temps instead?

Hope we can get some good conversation going about this! Thanks!
I have some nest box heaters I bought from a old-timer (back when I wasn't one myself, haha). They are a flat piece of metal that sits underneath the box itself, not in it. They have an electrical cord that is protected by the coil of wire spiraling around it, like you see on heated water bowls. I've used them with wood or wood-bottomed boxes (my metal boxes have wooden bottoms that can be taken out and cleaned and/or replaced).

They don't make the box hot, just kind of take the edge off; I wasn't concerned about the kits getting too hot. They could always get up on top of the nesting material if they wanted. I've tried them a couple of times, but quit bothering because my does always ended up sitting in the nice warm box all day, which is not usually a good plan!

Really, if the doe makes a good nest and does her job, the kits don't need a heater. As long as there are more than one or two kits and they have a nice fur blanket, they'll stay warm, even down to -10F or even less. Unfortunately, that's less likely to happen mid-winter because the doe's hormones are suppressed, and if she doesn't do her job, no nest box heater will make up for it.

If I am concerned about the temperatures or the possibility of kits popping out of the nest, I just bring the boxes in the house, and take them out for the doe to feed in the morning or evening or both (depending on the doe's typical habits). It's a little more work but the benefits are both obvious (i.e reducing tragedies) and not so obvious - in our house the babies get a lot of attention, and they usually end up super people-oriented.

Last edited:
I have some nest box heaters I bought from a old-timer (back when I wasn't one myself, haha). They are a flat piece of metal that sits underneath the box itself, not in it. They have an electrical cord that is protected by the coil of wire spiraling around it, like you see on heated water bowls. I've used them with wood or wood-bottomed boxes (my metal boxes have wooden bottoms that can be taken out and cleaned and/or replaced).

They don't make the box hot, just kind of take the edge off; I wasn't concerned about the kits getting too hot. They could always get up on top of the nesting material if they wanted. I've tried them a couple of times, but quit bothering because my does always ended up sitting in the nice warm box all day, which is not usually a good plan!

Really, if the doe makes a good nest and does her job, the kits don't need a heater. As long as there are more than one or two kits and they have a nice fur blanket, they'll stay warm, even down to -10F or even less. Unfortunately, that's less likely to happen mid-winter because the doe's hormones are suppressed, and if she doesn't do her job, no nest box heater will make up for it.

If I am concerned about the temperatures or the possibility of kits popping out of the nest, I just bring the boxes in the house, and take them out for the doe to feed in the morning or evening or both (depending on the doe's typical habits). It's a little more work but the benefits are both obvious (i.e reducing tragedies) and not so obvious - in our house the babies get a lot of attention, and they usually end up super people-oriented.

I know breeders that had does sit in the boxes when they used a heat lamp (which is also more of a fire hazard) over the box, and the doe squished all the kits. :( I was curious if the nest box warmers would create the same problem. Thanks!

I did end up doing the same with bringing the litters in during the super cold spell we got. Everyone did great with it and the bunnies are very friendly. Nice side effects!

Appreciate you sharing your experience with those heaters.

Where have you seen nest box heaters? I didn't know they exist.
I wouldn't put them under the rabbits or under box. Because a) They'll get soaked in urine, as it drains from the box, I am guessing, and b) They can't get away from the heat if they're too warm on it.
I was thinking of building one into the side of my nest box, protected by a thin wall between it and the kits. So they can snuggle up next to the warm wall, but get away from it if they're too warm... The style of box I was thinking of using for this is a nest box that attaches to the outside of the door of the cage, it hangs on there. So the cord for the heater won't be exposed to any chewing.
What are your thoughts on this? Just an idea.

That does sound like an interesting option that I hadn’t thought of. My boxes have solid floors of 1x10 boards, so urine doesn’t make it through and gets absorbed by the nesting material. I use some of the Carefresh paper bedding under the straw to help keep things dry.

Back