Nest Box Eye

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We 5 baby rabbits born 5 weeks ago and 4 of their eyes opened and getting around really good. But one I have been watching for about 5 days and its eyes have both been shut tight. After watching a video on YouTube I found out it was Nest Box Eyes caused by dust or Bacteria and that we could use a cotton ball and warm water and gently wipe both eyes. So we tried this today and after a few minutes the poor little thing had both eyes partially opened on its own for the first time. We was very happy. So tomorrow we will repeat the warm water and clean both of them again. I tnought I would share this for anyone else with this problem. I wish I would have took a better photo of him with both eyes completely stuck shut before cleaning them.

Attachments

• 20230502_175057.jpg
    20230502_175057.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230502_193645.jpg
    20230502_193645.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230502_193600.jpg
    20230502_193600.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Make sure you have that bunny on a not "to be kept for breeding list".

Personally I found that nestbox eye had nothing to do with clean or dirty nestboxes, rather had everything to do with a poor immune system in the individual rabbit or some underlying illness that momma carried. I learned to NEVER keep a doe that through nestbox eye in her kits, or to breed from rabbits that had it as a kit. Doing so helped me to eradicate it from my herd.

Last edited:
Make sure you have that bunny on a not "to be kept for breeding list".

Personally I found that nestbox eye had nothing to do with clean or dirty nestboxes, rather had everything to do with a poor immune system in the individual rabbit or some underlying illness that momma carried. I learned to NEVER keep a doe that through nestbox eye in her kits, or to breed from rabbits that had it as a kit. Doing so helped me to eradicate it from my herd.
Being how this is new to us too is there a reason it wont be able to be used for breeding? If so we will make sure its raised for one of our meat rabbits only. Thanks

Being how this is new to us too is there a reason it wont be able to be used for breeding? If so we will make sure its raised for one of our meat rabbits only. Thanks
because you never ever want to breed from rabbits that get sick particularly from illnesses that are immunological in nature. Do you want to produce easy to care for rabbits or ones that you need to fuss with?

An old time rabbit breeder told me "breed for what you want, don't accept anything less" .... unless you are breeding to improve a line... (need to be reasonable here eh?). Took me a while to truly understand what that means, to understand you need to look down the road to where you want to be. So I breed for illness free rabbits that have genuinely easy-going temperaments under my care. Skittish, bitey, sick rabbits need not apply. Anything that produces sick doesn't get bred again.

because you never ever want to breed from rabbits that get sick particularly from illnesses that are immunological in nature. Do you want to produce easy to care for rabbits or ones that you need to fuss with?

An old time rabbit breeder told me "breed for what you want, don't accept anything less" .... unless you are breeding to improve a line... (need to be reasonable here eh?). Took me a while to truly understand what that means, to understand you need to look down the road to where you want to be. So I breed for illness free rabbits that have genuinely easy-going temperaments under my care. Skittish, bitey, sick rabbits need not apply. Anything that produces sick doesn't get bred again.
yep stick to the plan

Latest posts

Back