Nest Box Eye? What should I do?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graceful Rabbitry

gracefulrabbits
Reaction score
This baby had their eyes open and then all of a sudden on was closed the next morning but, It didn’t look gunky or have any build up. So, we brought it in and held a warm rag over it and put some triple antibiotic ointment on it and it was open the next morning. Then, Today I went out there and it was closed again, but open just a little bit in the middle. It is also 3 weeks old. I just took out the nest box thinking it was causing it, but all the hay was dry. I also have cleaned the nest box every week since they were born. Should I leave it alone and let it open by itself or put some more ointment on it?

It is not uncommon for their eyes to just get a little crusty. I just wipe away any crust with a damp Q-tip in the mornings until it stops. If the eye is not crusty than looking for inflammation and make sure the eyelid is not rolling under (aka entropion)

It is not uncommon for their eyes to just get a little crusty. I just wipe away any crust with a damp Q-tip in the mornings until it stops. If the eye is not crusty than looking for inflammation and make sure the eyelid is not rolling under (aka entropion)
Okay, thank you. Does it look like entropion to you?

Okay, thank you. Does it look like entropion to you?
It's hard to tell from this photo. You will have to gently open the eye and see if the eyelid/s are curling into the eye. If it is the outer eyelid that is affected it will look somewhat like this. Almost like the eyelid just looses its strength and gives up. The condition can cause weeping which will lead to crusty eyes it is also uncomfortable so the rabbits don't like keeping their eyes open, luckily it isn't contagious, however it can be hereditary. Most important this is to just keep the crust cleaned out.
1680132482027.png

Okay
It's hard to tell from this photo. You will have to gently open the eye and see if the eyelid/s are curling into the eye. If it is the outer eyelid that is affected it will look somewhat like this. Almost like the eyelid just looses its strength and gives up. The condition can cause weeping which will lead to crusty eyes it is also uncomfortable so the rabbits don't like keeping their eyes open, luckily it isn't contagious, however it can be hereditary. Most important this is to just keep the crust cleaned out.
View attachment 35197
Okay, thank you so much!

View attachment 35197
It looks like this is what is happening, it got better for a couple days, then he/she started to keep their closed opening it even now and then there is also a little cloudy circle in the eye, which I’ve seen before with a hay poke and I just put ointment on it once and it went away. This kits cloudy white circle has not went away. What should I do with this kit? What would you do? 6BFA35CA-D461-49AF-9CDB-8143442DD264.jpeg

It looks like this is what is happening, it got better for a couple days, then he/she started to keep their closed opening it even now and then there is also a little cloudy circle in the eye, which I’ve seen before with a hay poke and I just put ointment on it once and it went away. This kits cloudy white circle has not went away. What should I do with this kit? What would you do?
I'd treat as nest box eye - clean crustiness and apply Terramycin ointment (still OTC so far!).

1680658765876.png
More often than not, it will heal completely. Once in a while, the damage to the eyeball will persist.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back