Nest box eye advice

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albert

Reaction score
On today's cuddle routine we've noticed one of our kits (17 days old) has slightly protruding ridges above both eyes and his eye rims look very pink.

Does the camomile tea remedy work or do we need to do something more off the shelf medication wise? We've checked him again this afternoon and the swelling seems to have subsided slightly but his eyes look slightly closed compared to the others.

Thanks

I was really hoping someone would have replied to this I have the same issue in one of my kits

I had to wing it in the end with the information I could find. We washed the eye with warm water and a lint free cloth from front to back to avoid forcing the eye open. Then gave it a little spray with Vetericyn Plus.

On the second day the eye lid opened and some puss came out. Keep doing that every two days until the eye looked fully open.

We called her Mrs Bumpy because her eyebrow looked enlarged for probably 10 days and we would just reapply the Vetericyn every few days to help it heal.

Being a white rabbit the skin looked very pink after treatment but within a month or so we can no longer tell her from her sisters.

It was a success, but I was worried I would hurt her. She stayed calm through the whole thing and got very used to being a handled a lot.

I would definitely use this method again if it comes up. Good luck if you try it.

I had to wing it in the end with the information I could find. We washed the eye with warm water and a lint free cloth from front to back to avoid forcing the eye open. Then gave it a little spray with Vetericyn Plus.

On the second day the eye lid opened and some puss came out. Keep doing that every two days until the eye looked fully open.

We called her Mrs Bumpy because her eyebrow looked enlarged for probably 10 days and we would just reapply the Vetericyn every few days to help it heal.

Being a white rabbit the skin looked very pink after treatment but within a month or so we can no longer tell her from her sisters.

It was a success, but I was worried I would hurt her. She stayed calm through the whole thing and got very used to being a handled a lot.

I would definitely use this method again if it comes up. Good luck if you try it.
Thank you Albert, I have been washing the eye daily, unfortunately I have to wait for my amazon delivery to arrive with the eye wash. But kit is opening their eye now so this is a good sign, however, I suspect there will be vision loss in that eye as it looks cloudy almost as if it is a blind eye. I feel horrible I didn't catch it sooner, it seemed to come out of no where but alas it must have started days before and I didn't notice.

Thank you Albert, I have been washing the eye daily, unfortunately I have to wait for my amazon delivery to arrive with the eye wash. But kit is opening their eye now so this is a good sign, however, I suspect there will be vision loss in that eye as it looks cloudy almost as if it is a blind eye. I feel horrible I didn't catch it sooner, it seemed to come out of no where but alas it must have started days before and I didn't notice.
Don't be hard on yourself. Bumpy's eye was cloudy for quite a while which turned out to be a film of mucus and puss that I wasn't brave enough to get out.

If I had seen this before I would have posted but yes, chamomile tea bag on the eye will cure this in no time. I had a litter of lionheads that had nestbox eye and two treatments had them cleared up. Chamomile is good for many things.

Back