Nest box alternatives

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockyhillrabbits

Reaction score
So I have a doe due on Tuesday, in 5 days, and I thought I would order some nest boxes. I'm on a tight budget so shopped around and the cheapest place I found was Bass Equipment, but delivery could take 3 weeks. I have wire cages with annoying small doors, 12" x12" I think and the wooden box I found that would have worked won't even fit through the door. What are some alternative options I can use that will fit?

Looks like you are also using c&c cage (by looking at your picture - we use it too) try making your own box (or asking someone else if you don’t have all the tools)

you can also acquire free materials if you post on your Facebooks local SwipSwap group!

alternatively we use another place entirely for pregnant does - they have ground hutches not raised ones

We have our doors on our raised ones open 12x24 not much extra room but some 🤷‍♀️

i also have inlaid liter pans on our raised hutch that my husband and I worked together to make sturdy (with L brackets-fit into c&c connecters) but removable!! To clean or if needed .. the placement is closest to the door so its actually got a 12x12 opening underneath the 12x24 door (unfortunately my Queen rabbit Reese quickly figured that as a easy way to get out of her hutch she’s the smartest of the Bun-ch)

My intention was to fill it with hay and surround it with hay so maybe they would dig down (this was before all my many expansions) - Nope no one - butttt I have inside/outside liter trained rabbits! - Sooo if you don’t you could see if this works (and let me know please haha)

we have all different size nest boxes and hutches - were in south Florida - my biggest problem is flooding and snakes thankfully noooo snakes have ever eaten any kits to my knowledge but I have caught a few black racers (cut their heads off every time so it’s not the same one)

Our pregnant does have 2’x4’ ground hutches - not raised hutches - we think it’s more natural and safe feeling for them (just a superstition) - we don’t use them in flood months or when expecting heavy rain they can come inside free roam or 2x4 c&c and use nest boxes

Not sure how much - but I hope this helps - either way let us know what you decide to use!

Sorry upon a double look it does not appear you are using c&c so sorry!
also just googled bass equipment as it’s the second time I’ve read this tonight - we don’t usually buy brand new we reuse/repurpose I’m going to check if a old tidyliter box will fit in a 12x12 opening - one sec

Yes tidy cats plastic liter box’s can fit in the 12x12 opening - if you have a saw to cut off top 4 inches of bucket lol

I’m going to make one with my husband in a little I will post the picture - something sorta like this

Not sure it will be the length you need after the cutoff but thats why I suggest making custom one with wood - either way both these ideas need tools 🛠

Attachments

• 25E17499-9C0B-44D9-8C71-CBEE6F4B435B.jpeg
    25E17499-9C0B-44D9-8C71-CBEE6F4B435B.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 1
krevis, that's what I ended up using. She's pushing it all over her cage and rearranging everything but it will work, I think.

krevis, that's what I ended up using. She's pushing it all over her cage and rearranging everything but it will work, I think.
You could drill a small hole and zip tie it to cage wire to try and prevent her from moving it...sometimes it works and sometimes they just work at it so much they get it free...as long as she isn't tipping it I wouldn't worry, she should settle on a spot once babies come and no longer try to move it

a cardboard box will work as well. Even if it doesn't last the entire litter, it can be replaced when it gets too eaten or too mucky.

23daytoffeetwinkle.jpg

47daytoffeetwinkle.jpg

It was a carrot box and not specifically a box for bunnies, but at least it must have smelled nice for them.

Back