Nervous About First Butchering

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
So I have decided today is the day that Doodle, my buck, meets the freezer camp fairy. I am very nervous, because I have never done this before. :cry: He really needs to go. I need the space and the feed, and can't find anyone to take him. At any rate, he feels meaty and good, and has an amazing silver-tipped black agouti coat, I think? Any ways, it is vey pretty, and I am saving it for when I learn to tan hides.

Which is the preferable method? Bopping or Broomsticking? I don't want him to suffer, I want him out fast, but think there might be a possibility of me getting it wrong, since I have never done this before. Just need it over with.

Any tips? Could use them all. :)

Between the two methods, I'd say broomsticking would be fast and sure. Dislocating very quickly. Just be sure which ever method you use...practice first on a post, or doll or something just so you know the steps to take..then be fast and sure with the rabbit. (we use a .22 pistol, so I can't give you any firsthand info on either method)

That's what I was thinking, too. Maybe I can find a youtube video about it. Good Idea to practice on a stuffed animal or something first.<br /><br />__________ Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:25 pm __________<br /><br />Well, I did it. I am shaky right now, it was freaky. I expected him to twitch, but he sctartched like he had an itch, after I was sure he was gone :shock: . Now for the dirty work. :|

I have joined the ranks of people who have killed their own meat. :cry:

But I am okay.

Thanks guys! I skinned him (took too much off, there is some meat on the hide) didn't find the heart ;) But I did correctly located the liver and kidneys, an even remembered to find the gallbladder! The carcass is scratched, and the neck meat is BRUISED, but I bopped him, instead of doing the broomstick. And I put a sock over his head cause him looking at me was making me sad :roll:

But I am pretty proud of myself, and have calmed down alot. :)

I do want to buy a rabbit zinger, I think that looks cool. Very direct. I think the other thing would be a gun, but I live in the city, so it wouldn't be the smartest.

I am confidant that this is something I can do, and I imagine it's not as hard after a few times.

We have invited some freinds over for rabbit dinner Tuesday! :D

One Q on the liver. It is dark red, but very uniform in color and doesn't look like it has anything wrong with it. Is dark red a good color? like a chicken liver, but bigger? I'd like to make gravy from it :)<br /><br />__________ Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:20 pm __________<br /><br />I figured out why I never found the heart...it was in the chest! Lol. I got to thinking that I hadn't seent he lungs either, and that's when it dawned on me. DOH!

Good job shrarvrs!

We have NZW / cal crosses and just have white fur, yours sounds fantastic! Saving learning to tan for a winter project I think.

We just did our first 3, and yes, the liver is a deep red/burgundy color. We went ahead and cooked 2 hearts and livers for a special doggy friend, and have fed some of the leavings to our chickens!

yes his fur is beautiful...i can't wait to learn to tan, but yeah, loads of outside stuff to do right now. much better to wait till winter. :)

White fur would make a very nice old fashioned muff, like in the old times :)or maybe a pretty white shawl.

Latest posts

Back