Need to know color of this baby purebred mini rex and to know if show quality

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teenbunz

Reaction score
Hello everyone new here I have a little baby mini Rex about 4 weeks old she looks like a blue or some sorta torte I'm just not to good with colors she's a girl brown eyes all white nails healthy just need to know her color and if she'd be considered show quality 20220412_165850.jpg20220412_165931.jpg20220412_170235.jpg20220412_170000.jpg

at four weeks old, we can't tell you if she is show quality, particularly if not posed at all. A cute bunny,

Based on how big she looks in your hand at four weeks, I'm guessing she'll exceed the weight limits.

There small compared to other baby's I've had and dad is a blue torte according to pedigree and he's small about 3.5 pounds and mom is harlequin a little on the larger side

I breed mini Rex,,, I wanna say blue tort? It looks over weight btw
Would you say 1 cup of pellets for momma and 1 cup for the 3 baby's is to much and they need less they only get the 2 cups a day and the Timothy hay unlimited

If you’re worried about weight just up the hay intake and make sure you don’t feed too many pellets (no more than 25% of daily food intake)..personally I wouldn’t worry too much, baby looks healthy and bright. Like a human child, under feeding will have a long lasting impact on growth etc. Growing is hungry work! Whereas overfeeding is harder to do (in a kit)..if you can feel the bones of the hips, but only just then your bun isn’t too fat, just furry☺️

Would you say 1 cup of pellets for momma and 1 cup for the 3 baby's is to much and they need less they only get the 2 cups a day and the Timothy hay unlimited
I would say you feed unlimited feed to babies who are growing. I do not think "overweight" was meant as a euphemisim for "fat". It means the rabbit frame is too big for a show animal. The rabbit looks healthy, and the weight is right for her, but may not qualify for breed standard.

Working out what colour it is, is important as some colours are not recognised for show - and may not be suitable for breeding as they will produce unrecognised colours.
What were parents' colours?
Are there rings in the fur when you blow into it?
Having a white belly, eye rings, nostrils and ear lacing means she is not a blue tort... but tort otters do exist and they are not an accepted colour in Mini Rex.

Working out what colour it is, is important as some colours are not recognised for show - and may not be suitable for breeding as they will produce unrecognised colours.
What were parents' colours?
Are there rings in the fur when you blow into it?
Having a white belly, eye rings, nostrils and ear lacing means she is not a blue tort... but tort otters do exist and they are not an accepted colour in Mini Rex.
Dad is blue torte pedigreed mini Rex Mom is a pedigreed harlequinized black otter mini rex
One of the baby's is harlequin one is a Slightly lighter color version of the one in pictures
No rings in fur all the fur looks the same except for the belly and what looks like torte color on the sides

Dad's pedigree has the blue torte, tricolor-w/blue/g-fawn, broken torte, tri w/blk/g-org ,blue ,castor ,broken black, broken castor ,blue otter,white

And moms pedigree has broken magpie broken castor,harlequin, black orange tri, black mosaic broken,black magpie, blue,broken black
If you can get a better idea of color from that

Dad is blue torte pedigreed mini Rex Mom is a pedigreed harlequinized black otter mini rex
One of the baby's is harlequin one is a Slightly lighter color version of the one in pictures
No rings in fur all the fur looks the same except for the belly and what looks like torte color on the sides

Dad's pedigree has the blue torte, tricolor-w/blue/g-fawn, broken torte, tri w/blk/g-org ,blue ,castor ,broken black, broken castor ,blue otter,white

And moms pedigree has broken magpie broken castor,harlequin, black orange tri, black mosaic broken,black magpie, blue,broken black
If you can get a better idea of color from that
Blue tort is aaB-C-ddee
Harlequinised black otter is a(t)-B-C-D-Ee(j).

Possible outcomes will be:
a(t)a Ee (Otter)
a(t)a e(j)e (Harlequin)
and if the otter parent carries self, then also -
aaEe (self)
aae(j)e (torted harlequin)

So something isn't quite right here as that baby isn't an otter or a harlie, or a self, or a torted harlie. It looks to me to be possibly a Tort Otter, a(t)_ ee but that's not possible if the parents are correct.

Neither Tort Otter nor Harlie are showable in Mini Rex. If you are wanting to show, then these aren't suitable colours to work with, so you might have to think about acquiring something different.

show quality mini rex (in the 3-3.5 range) generally only eat 1/3-1/2 cup pellets per day. (16-17% protein pellet).

A cup a day is what most meat rabbits eat! :)

The large number of colour varieties you see in thollandhe pedigree suggest to me that she was not bred with showing in mind. Very few show breeders would mix those colours.

For mini rex kits (if show quality) at four weeks, they'd generally weigh 10-14 oz. (so less than a pound). I measure feed EVERYTHING, I never free feed. Holland lops are a similar size to mini rex.

For does on babies my standard is this
Until babies are out of the box (so about 12 ish days) the doe gets a double portion. The last four days or so I sprinkle a wee bit of pellets in the box, along with some oatmeal. If I'm feeding hay, I'll dust some hay in there as well.
from 12-21 days the doe is on three times normal ration, one part of that ration is in a ground feeding bowl (what I call a creep feeder). This encourages the babies to start eating.
From 21-28 days Mom gets her portion and then a measure a half-portion per baby into a J-feeder.
After week four and until weaning, a regular portion per rabbit in the enclosure plus one.

Once weaned (from week five-six depending on my cage space availability) Kits are fed a normal ration plus one extra until separated into smaller groups or sold.

I don't get fat rabbits (internal fat), and they grow just as quickly as free fed rabbits. It saves much on feed bills too. Less waste as rabbits learn to eat what they have and not dig out bowls.

I don't regularly feed hay, I use it only for stressful times. A doe kindling, first major storm of the year. breeding, weaning, etc. In addition to pellets they get a mixed grain ration and/or fresh produce/weeds/greens.

That's the other 2 baby's... probably getting another male and female smaller that can produce show quality babies and color would be a good idea right?
20220413_164433.jpg20220413_164556.jpg

Latest posts

Back