Need help with customized diet

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow Blue

Reaction score
My main goal is really to just avoid the over processed rabbit feed, one reason is because I'd rather give them a more natural diet, but the most critical reason is it all has wheat in it and I can not handle gluten safely without it being a huge pain for me (mask, gloves, then strip clothing after I'm done). I don't want to go anywhere near it. They are currently eating alfalfa pellets and timothy hay, and I'm foraging around my garden and lawn for them too. Timothy grass is sprouting up all over my lawn as well as white clover. I also have a garden with plenty of brassica leaves and root tops to give them. And I have comfrey that I feed them too. I also have a big bag of BOSS and I have some rolled oats in my pantry I can give them. I have 2 nursing does, and one buck, and growouts. Is there a specific ratio I should make for them individually? And is there anything else I should throw in there for them? My biggest concern is that they are getting too much protein with the alfalfa and I don't want to cause any bladder or kidney problems or make them overweight. Other concerns I have is that I'm not correctly balancing their diet since I don't know what ratio to give them of each. And I don't know if I should have a salt lick in their cages too.

The problem with your diet right now is that you're getting them the alfalfa based pellet. You now need to supplement with Timothy Hay because rabbits get more nutrition from Timothy Hay. Most pellet producers use fillers and lower quality hay like alfalfa hay instead of the Timothy Hay because it's cheaper. They also will bump the fiber levels up in the cheap pellets and feeds because that helps offset the negatives of the alfalfa hay being harder to digest for rabbits.

ADM makes a very good feed for rabbits and they have several different protein levels depending on your purpose.

We are using ADM feeds exclusively after much research... At least until we're able to make our own feed and have enough land to do so.

My main goal is really to just avoid the over processed rabbit feed, one reason is because I'd rather give them a more natural diet, but the most critical reason is it all has wheat in it and I can not handle gluten safely without it being a huge pain for me (mask, gloves, then strip clothing after I'm done). I don't want to go anywhere near it. They are currently eating alfalfa pellets and timothy hay, and I'm foraging around my garden and lawn for them too. Timothy grass is sprouting up all over my lawn as well as white clover. I also have a garden with plenty of brassica leaves and root tops to give them. And I have comfrey that I feed them too. I also have a big bag of BOSS and I have some rolled oats in my pantry I can give them. I have 2 nursing does, and one buck, and growouts. Is there a specific ratio I should make for them individually? And is there anything else I should throw in there for them? My biggest concern is that they are getting too much protein with the alfalfa and I don't want to cause any bladder or kidney problems or make them overweight. Other concerns I have is that I'm not correctly balancing their diet since I don't know what ratio to give them of each. And I don't know if I should have a salt lick in their cages too.
There's a pretty good book called "Beyond the Pellet" by Craven and Worden that gives a pretty good breakdown of rabbit diet and sources of the various elements of nutrition needed.

Commercial rabbit pellets are usually made mostly of alfalfa. As long as you're not feeding both commercial rabbit pellets and alfalfa hay, you're probably fine, but as you suspect, you need to look at the rest of the diet, since ratios are as important as amounts.

The ideal ratio of the main dietary components is roughly 12-14% protein, 50% carbohydrates, 35% fiber, and fat around 3% (I like to give a little more fat to lactating does).

There are other nutrients involved, of course. Here are is a site that I've found useful:
https://companion-animals.extension.org/nutrients-required-by-rabbits/
On another thread you were asking about growth rates. You can expect to see much slower growth slower rates when you don't feed pellets, as quick weight gain is what they are formulated to accomplish. On a more natural diet, you may never get to quite the growth rates seen in commercial NZs, but your rabbits will adapt to your feed, and you can still select for faster-growing grow-outs. There are trade-offs involved in every husbandry decision, and it sounds like you have a great reason to kick the pellet habit. :)

Commercial rabbit pellets are usually made mostly of alfalfa. As long as you're not feeding both commercial rabbit pellets and alfalfa hay, you're probably fine, but as you suspect, you need to look at the rest of the diet, since ratios are as important as amounts.
Thanks! Just to be clear, the pellets are alfalfa only, not alfalfa based rabbit pellets with other ingredients. Just alfalfa and the binder that holds it together. The hay is timothy because I don't want to double up on the alfalfa. Between the alfalfa and the comfrey their protein is probably pretty high, I'm hoping it's not too high. And I'm supplementing with eveyrthing in the garden and lawn to try and give them a variety of nutrition. I need to get that book lol!

Thanks! Just to be clear, the pellets are alfalfa only, not alfalfa based rabbit pellets with other ingredients. Just alfalfa and the binder that holds it together. The hay is timothy because I don't want to double up on the alfalfa. Between the alfalfa and the comfrey their protein is probably pretty high, I'm hoping it's not too high. And I'm supplementing with eveyrthing in the garden and lawn to try and give them a variety of nutrition. I need to get that book lol!
Yes, that book is wonderful! It recommends willow for winter forage every day, and my rabbits love blackberry brambles and rose brambles, both recommended in the book. Also, apple and pear wood trimmings and grape vines.

I have saved seeds for dandelion and plantain as well as planting a bunch of comfrey cuttings.

Latest posts

Back