Need help badly... sneezing rabbits & injury :(

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irisshiller

Reaction score
Hi, I very much need help concerning some sneezy bunnies and an injury... Hope some of you who have been through this can advise me!

I run a small pet zoo with about 30 rabbits at the moment (we had a sort of population explosion when one of the males broke into the females' cage and got all of them pregnant, but the males have been neutered since then and we're rehoming the 2 month old babies right now). About a month ago, I agreed to take on 4 rescue rabbits who urgently needed a home. They have been together in a separate cage and I thought they seemed to be doing OK.

However, a few days ago the vet came by to vaccinate everyone and was worried about wet noses on the new bunnies. He asked me to pay attention and if I heard any sneezing or saw them grooming their faces a lot, to let him know. So I paid attention, and thought I did hear a few sneezes and some noisy breathing, so I asked him to give us a prescription for medicine.

It seemed that all hell has broken out since then! The vet was very worried and thought they had pasteurella. I had to move them to another corner of the pet zoo, lock their cage and restrict all access. We asked another vet (a friend) for his opinion and he said: 'this is a catastrophe.' He says we can never allow them to mix with the other rabbits, even if they get better. It might have already spread to the others (although I don't see any symptoms on them) and it might kill the young bunnies. My husband is annoyed with me for taking on those bunnies and my friend/pet zoo partner is very helpfully sending me horror stories from the internet. :/

It gets worse... this morning while I was moving them into their quarantine cage, one of the rabbits started struggling like mad and fell from my hands. He seems to have broken his back leg as it is now dragging at a strange angle!! I feel terrible! Trying to contact the vet but he's busy and haven't managed to get through yet...

I have no idea what to do!! Has anyone ever had a rabbit with a broken leg? Is it possible to fix it or will he have to be put down?

Regarding the sneezing - is it possible for the rabbits to get better and continue living with us or do they all have to be put down, too, to protect the others..? That feels really bad because they don't actually seem that sick. Their noses are a bit wet and there is a sneeze every now and then but they are not having any sneezing attacks or white discharge. I haven't seen much face washing and their paws do not seem wet or matted. What is a bit strange is that on 2 of them, the fur on their noses seems to have fallen out. Not below but on top. Is this a result of the wetness/sneezing? For the rest, they are eating, drinking and hopping around normally. They do lie around a lot, but it is really hot here right now and the others are doing the exact same thing. Does this sound like pasteurella or could it be something else?

I came across an earlier post with pictures of rabbits in heat stress... this is exactly what they do after they have been running around in the heat and get too hot - they lie, pant and stick their noses in the air. I also saw the heat stressed rabbits have wet faces. Is it possible that the whole thing is simply heat stress..? Or is that just wishful thinking?

They do have a shady place, cool tiles to lie on, lots of water and greens and frozen bottles. They have passed the summer (which has been extremely hot at times) OK. But a friends' rabbit has died from the heat this summer when it passed 40 C.

Really upset about this! I only just got the 'dog situation' under control and now this!

Oh, my friend also told me the disease could spread to cats! Is that true? I have just adopted a barn cat to help control the mice. Is she at risk too?

Thanks for any help or reactions!

Keep the wet nose rabbits quarantined and practice isolation procedures. Feed them last, wash hands and use hand sanitizer after handling them, or their equipment. It COULD be something nasty, or it could be nothing.

The fact that these new rabbits have wet noses and your other rabbits do not is suspicious though.

Bordetella can be passed from rabbits to cats and dogs, birds and vice versa. It is somewhat treatable, but may never be completely eradicated from their systems. Pasteurella is worse and is nearly always a death sentence. Any upper respiratory infection is normally a reason to cull when a person has multiple rabbits, due to the need to control the spread of infection and the likelihood that it will return.

I would strongly advise against allowing the new rabbits to mix with the other rabbits. You're already running a huge risk to your rabbits with the petting zoo environment. I hope, at the very least, people have to use hand sanitizer before entering.

As for the broken leg rabbit. They can survive a broken leg, but the most humane and sensible thing to do is normally put them down.

Sorry your going through this :(

Personally I'd immediately put the rabbit with a broken leg out of its misery, especially since it likely carries a respiratory illness

If the new rabbits have pastureland then yes, there is no cure but they can be asymptomatic carriers for life and I would euthanize all of them and hope and pray that your current bunnies didn't catch it. For the next 30 days I'd keep a close eye out for sneezing, runny nose or eyes and immediately euthanize those with symptoms

If they have another infection, such as bordatella, it can be treated but could take months and there is always a chance your old rabbits could catch it, if they haven't already, during the treatment period. The infected rabbits may have permenant lung damage and will always be more susceptible to respiratory illnesses and may need to be euthanized latter on

Most rabbit breeders have VERY strict quarantine protocols for new arrivals or show rabbits that have been in close contact with others and some have closed rabbitries where no new rabbits (or even human visitors) are allowed on the property in order to avoid pasturella getting in and spreading like wildfire - entire herds have died or been culled due to pasturella outbreaks :( it is a rabbit breeders worst nightmare

Hi, thanks for your reactions... Nobody has actually tested the bacteria or said the word 'pasteurella', they just saw the wet noses and said: it's bad. So I don't know what exactly is going on.

But judging to what you said, it doesn't look good :( We're taking the injured bunny to the vet this evening and I suppose will put it down... now trying to decide whether to put the others down too. I think I might ask to the vet to test the bacteria on the injured bunny and then decide what to do depending on what exactly it is.

I just really hope it's not pasteurella as it sounds terrible.
In a worst case scenario, if it is pasteurella and it has spread to the other bunnies... will I have to put all of them down?? Will the bacteria stay in the environment even after that? It sounds like a nightmare.

They might have stong enough immune systems to fight the disease but I would euthanize any that show symptoms

The pasturella bacteria can live in moist porous fomites (soil, wood, water bottles, toys etc...) for a couple weeks (bordatella can live for 28 days)

Dood":936qwa55 said:
The pasturella bacteria can live in moist porous fomites (soil, wood, water bottles, toys etc...) for a couple weeks (bordatella can live for 28 days)

Bleach everything!

Well, the rabbit with the broken leg has been put down... We took him to the vet yesterday evening and she said it was pretty much impossible to fix... We got medicine for the others - it's called enrofloxacin. Interestingly, this vet didn't see anything worrying about the nose of this rabbit, but she gave us the medicine for the others just to be sure. Starting treatment this morning and just really hoping it will be ok!

I will definitely scrub and bleach everything they've been in contact with just to be sure. Thanks!!

:bunnyhop:

Latest posts

Back