Need advice/help on rescuing two loose Rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a call from a person saying that their parent's neighbor had released two big white Bunnies. So I went and I tried to catch them. Thank goodness the rabbit's owner was home to help me catch the Moma rabbit. She gave me some more info as to why she released them and that there was actully three loose bunnies. She told me that her buck had died over the winter so she had no use for them anymore and she had ran out of food to feed them. So, she thought releasing them would the best. Even though there's three shelters/rescues(including mine) that take in rabbits, plus(this may be horrid to some people but), plenty of farmers would love to have free food. So I didn't understand that, but okay.

She said that the two babies were brown(Actually, they're Albino), so she thought they had 'bred' with the wild rabbits because there was brown and white rabbits running around. Which is not true, it's just the baby buns. How I know this is because they go under her house and become super dirty which make them look brown and white or brown. I had crawled under the house to try and get them but it was super dark and narrow so I wouldn't know how I'd get a hold of them. Unless I had a big net that they couldn't get out of while I crawl back out. So I think a trap is the best way to go.

I really want to catch the babies because I know that they'd be happier not living in fear all the time. The neighbor who called says they're pests to her 80 year old parents so she really wants them gone. We have two traps out there, but they haven't even touched them. SO, I was wondering if any of you rabbit trappers know how to get um to go in? Thanks!

How many entrances or exits under the house do you know of? If you can block all but 1 you should be able to put a "run" with a trap at the end that contains fresh forage or maybe a little piece of apple to entice them once they go under the house.

Our border collies would round them up and bring them to us, I don't suppose you have any herding dogs around? Otherwise, rabbits do seem to like to be near their hutches, can you get something that smells like their previous home and put it inside a trap?

There's one large opening at the back of the house, it's about four feet wide.

I'm not sure what the neighbors have in the trap but I've read a corn cob works really well. Even though it's not the best for them, it has to be better than being loose. I'm sure oats would work well to, I know my rabbits go nuts for oats!

Their hutches are in the lady's garage. They don't really go in there so I don't think they'd be enticed by the smell of the hutches.

I was thinking on putting a small towel in with one of my Unspayed Does for a while. Then, putting them in the trap to see if the smell of a female would interest them(They're two males). What do you guys think of that?

Latest posts

Back