Natural rabbit dewomer?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michaela

Reaction score
Hey guys, we found these worms in our rabbits intestines when processing for meat. How can we naturally treat the rest of our colony please?
move read about Thyme, Nasturtium and Rosemary. Any others?

Attachments

• IMG_0850.MOV
    8.3 MB
Hey, Michaela! I have read on this forum that plain pumpkin seeds can be a natural dewormer, but I have not used them for that. I don't know how effective they are, although, I know they can be fed as a supplement to the rabbit's diet or as a treat.

Last edited:
Some chemical in pumpkin seeds paralyzes the worms. I heard that green onions can be used (my bunny will not ear it though).

Mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris) comes to mind, and I think plants of the allium family have useful properties in that regard.

My rabbits destroy my chives plot when they get the chance.

pumpkin seed (with shell) seems to be more palatable for my buns than without the shell. Green chives work well too. Pumpkin seeds are more of a preventative than a curative. Chives will help prevent. Problem with parasites in a colony situation is they get into the ground and become an ongoing issue. You may need to dig out all the dirt and/or get them up off the ground.

Artemisia annua, (Chinese Wormwood) naturally contains Artemesinin which is antiparasitic. Artemesinin was so effective against worms and parasites that the scientists that discovered and isolated it shared the Nobel Pruze in 2015 with the guys that discovered ivermectin.

I bought seeds online and am planting them along my back property line for prevention.

Two word s to be aware of, vermicide and vermifuge. Vermicide kills the worms, vermifuge expels the worms. Naturally you will want to be concerned for yourself as well. Eggs track into the home on your shoes. Many worms are contracted through the soles of your feet. A good human vermicide is black walnut extract. Do NOT give this to your bunnies, it is poison to them. It is a good idea for all humans to undergo a deworming every 6 months. On the other hand, garlic is a good vermifuge. We eat large amounts of garlic. Where a recipe calls for 4 cloves we use a bulb, OK not that severe all the time, but you get the picture. The biannual deworming usually has no result for us. I have a friend who passes worms every so often.

I got several pumpkins this year as volunteers. I'll be harvesting the seeds today. I don't have a problem with worms in my rabbit, but its nice to know that I can keep them away. @WylieCoyote Wormwood can be a hallucinogen. Have some caution feeding it to your rabbits.

Two word s to be aware of, vermicide and vermifuge. Vermicide kills the worms, vermifuge expels the worms. Naturally you will want to be concerned for yourself as well. Eggs track into the home on your shoes. Many worms are contracted through the soles of your feet. A good human vermicide is black walnut extract. Do NOT give this to your bunnies, it is poison to them. It is a good idea for all humans to undergo a deworming every 6 months. On the other hand, garlic is a good vermifuge. We eat large amounts of garlic. Where a recipe calls for 4 cloves we use a bulb, OK not that severe all the time, but you get the picture. The biannual deworming usually has no result for us. I have a friend who passes worms every so often.

I got several pumpkins this year as volunteers. I'll be harvesting the seeds today. I don't have a problem with worms in my rabbit, but its nice to know that I can keep them away. @WylieCoyote Wormwood can be a hallucinogen. Have some caution feeding it to your rabbits.
Didn't know that, thanks!

Latest posts

Back