Natural Feeding and litter size

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe n TN

Reaction score
Rabbits are on an 18% protein feed and now that it is the spring they are getting half the pellets they do in the winter, hay every other day and a large "salad" of forage daily. The list of what they get fresh from the yard and garden is too vast to list but it does include more than a few herbs and all quality stuffs.

Here's my question. With them getting a little less protein now will it effect my litter sizes? Should I back the does off of some of the forage and increase their pellet intake once they are bred?

They love the forage and prefer it to pellets, but I want to maintain an 8 kit average. I love the decrease in the feed bill, but again, do not want to decrease my litter sizes. Thanks,

Joe

I would speculate that litter size has more to do with fertility- how virile the male is- the age of the doe and things like that- not the calories and protein in the feed. My theory is - if you want big litters try to get the breeding pair to do it as many times as possible within a 24 hour period --so there's more sperm going into the doe. I do think the feed might have an effect on how big and healthy the kits are though, and how many survive.

They will grow slower, but not drop kit numbers unless something else is going on.

The numbers in the litter will depend almost entirely on the does fertility. Fertility is affected by her genentics and nutrtion-- As long as the doe is getting everything she needs to support a large litter, her ovaries will release higher numbers of ova. If her fresh forages include higher proteins, you will not need to worry about that-- fresh alfalfa is fine-- or even permit high quality alfalfa /clover on a daily basis-- If you have access to pond-- gather small duckweed- "Lemna Minor"- the dry matter protein level in THAT miniscule plant is 98%!!! It is real easy to grow the duckweed, as well...

Latest posts

Back