Nasty bunny butts

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jadoh89

Reaction score
Okay so I have a rabbit colony. Our latest litter has been a disaster from the start! This mom hasn't been the best unfortunately. Now I noticed two babies this morning not being very active and today I was checking the sex. I was disgusted and hurt by what I found, dry caked on poop and what looks to be impacted anus on the 2. Puss from 1 along with missing fur. Now I haven't been handling these babies as much as past litters since this mom is aggressive and turns a bit neglective when I get involved. I'll attach photos because I'm not good at describing but I cleaned them up with wipes but not sure what else to do.

Attachments

• 20210903_122059.jpg
    20210903_122059.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210903_123247.jpg
    20210903_123247.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 7
How old are the bunnies?

1. Is their only food mama's milk or are they nibbling solids too?
2. What foods are available to them?
Do they have easy acccess to fresh water?
I really need more information to help you, but this is what I would do if I were you:
Grass hay is the very best thing you can give them to supplement. It helps prevent "weaning enteritis" which can result from an abrupt weaning onto a pellet only diet. If any sign of diarrhea appears, cut out the pellets and give them hay and oatmeal only. There are several plants that can be fed as medicine for diarrhea: the LEAVES of raspberry, blackberry, or strawberry are all good, and also the leaves of the lawn weed plantain (Plantago major) or shepherd's purse (Capsella bursa pastoris)
___

I've seldom had any rabbit develop "poopy butt" but I know from my few experiences and the follow-up on many others just how effective these simple plants are. And they are safe, desirable green foods too.

en.wikipedia.org

Plantago major - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org
en.wikipedia.org

en.wikipedia.org

Capsella bursa-pastoris - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org
en.wikipedia.org

They're about 4 weeks old, have access to fresh water. I check on them 2-3x a day. I give them Timothy, alfalfa hay and grass clippings (our yard is not treated with any chemicals.) I have access to tons of raspberries so I can get leaves asap. Also update I went to check on them for the 5th time today and lost one. This is our second litter and I put so much care and attention to them but this has been so disheartening.

I also have a colony style set up, and with three kids the kits get handled a lot, but still seeing messy butts on our 4 week old males. The girls seem to be better at keeping themselves clean. I trimmed the matted fur and used baby wipes, and gave them each a half dose of probiotics that were recommended to me. Seem to be better today. I'll try reducing pellets and encouraging more hay.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210904-064158.png
    Screenshot_20210904-064158.png
    369.2 KB · Views: 1
Okay, glad I'm not alone. I'll definitely be getting that product! I've just never had this issue before but at least I'll be more prepared if it happens again in the future! Thank you.
I also have a colony style set up, and with three kids the kits get handled a lot, but still seeing messy butts on our 4 week old males. The girls seem to be better at keeping themselves clean. I trimmed the matted fur and used baby wipes, and gave them each a half dose of probiotics that were recommended to me. Seem to be better today. I'll try reducing pellets and encouraging more hay.

They're about 4 weeks old, have access to fresh water. I check on them 2-3x a day. I give them Timothy, alfalfa hay and grass clippings (our yard is not treated with any chemicals.) I have access to tons of raspberries so I can get leaves asap. Also update I went to check on them for the 5th time today and lost one. This is our second litter and I put so much care and attention to them but this has been so disheartening.
Jadoh, that's understandable.

There's a old saying that if you have livestock, sooner or later you'll have dead stock. It's true. I remember my own first losses and they hurt horribly. It takes time to be able accept occasional deaths as inevitable.

Learn those weeds and where you can find them. Turn over a few squares of sod and chances are good that lots of useful invasive weeds will sprout for next year.

Cut LOTS of those raspberry canes while the leaves are still lush, bundle them, and hang them out of the sun to dry. It's always wise to work with the seasons. All these weeds dry well and retain their medicinal properties.

I'm quite ill at present, but will try to pull together a good post about rabbits and weeds over the next little while.

Hope the others recover.

Jadoh, that's understandable.

There's a old saying that if you have livestock, sooner or later you'll have dead stock. It's true. I remember my own first losses and they hurt horribly. It takes time to be able accept occasional deaths as inevitable.

Learn those weeds and where you can find them. Turn over a few squares of sod and chances are good that lots of useful invasive weeds will sprout for next year.

Cut LOTS of those raspberry canes while the leaves are still lush, bundle them, and hang them out of the sun to dry. It's always wise to work with the seasons. All these weeds dry well and retain their medicinal properties.

I'm quite ill at present, but will try to pull together a good post about rabbits and weeds over the next little while.

Hope the others recover.
Thank you so much for the tips and info! I'm looking forward to learning much more here. I forage the property so I'll keep an eye out for your post! Thank you 😊

I second the raspberry clipping and plantain...I would be willing to bet you have an abundance of it in your yard also....and lots of timothy...sometimes they will get soft to runny stool if happened to be weaned a little to early or stressed a little since as you say momma wasn't so great this may very well be what happened..and diarrhea in rabbits especially young ones can quickly be fatal.

Okay so I have a rabbit colony. Our latest litter has been a disaster from the start! This mom hasn't been the best unfortunately. Now I noticed two babies this morning not being very active and today I was checking the sex. I was disgusted and hurt by what I found, dry caked on poop and what looks to be impacted anus on the 2. Puss from 1 along with missing fur. Now I haven't been handling these babies as much as past litters since this mom is aggressive and turns a bit neglective when I get involved. I'll attach photos because I'm not good at describing but I cleaned them up with wipes but not sure what else to do.
If they're still impacted, get a large bowl and fill it shallowly with warm water, keep them calm but soak the poop till it's soft enough to break off, I had a baby that had that and it literally infected, like a moldy rotted flesh infection up into it's body, but I dropped iodine on it's privates 2 times a day and kept it and any other sick siblings in a clean box with paper towels as a floor to keep an eye on them, he survived! Pedialyte, the strawberry or non flavored works, I suggest non flavored tho, you could mix it with KMR, 2 parts replacer, 1 part cream, 1 part Pedialyte

This is only my experience so if you find anything out keep us updated c: hope it helps!

biggest thing to get clean butts on young rabbits... take away anything that they can sit on. Some kits are just plain lazy and will poop and sit right in it. Remove nestboxes and any hard surfaces. If raising on a solid floor, coat it LIBERALLY with sawdust/straw/bedding of some sort so the bedding will connect with the waste and when bunny hops away, hold the poop with it.

Wash the butts. If infected drop medication directly on it, but mostly... wash the poop away. I hold mine under warm running water in the sink. Bunnies heal amazingly fast.

biggest thing to get clean butts on young rabbits... take away anything that they can sit on. Some kits are just plain lazy and will poop and sit right in it. Remove nestboxes and any hard surfaces. If raising on a solid floor, coat it LIBERALLY with sawdust/straw/bedding of some sort so the bedding will connect with the waste and when bunny hops away, hold the poop with it.

Wash the butts. If infected drop medication directly on it, but mostly... wash the poop away. I hold mine under warm running water in the sink. Bunnies heal amazingly fast.
Which medication do you use for infection?

Latest posts

Back