Naming

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfaubush

Reaction score
I didn't want to hi-jack Brandy's thread, so just out of curiousity, how do you name your rabbits?

My Cali's are all notable people in history. Eli (Whitney), Marie (Curie), Helen (Keller), etc.

My NZW's are all Norse Mythology. Bragi, Johann, Freya, etc.

Blues are Blues musicians. Etta, Benny, etc.

Reds, Blacks, and Brokens I haven't figured out...I have Madrone and a bunch with just numbers (I got lazy).

My commercial only rabbits are named after herbs or plants. Sage, Rosemary, Thyme, and Fern.

Flemish have no rhyme or reason.

Just curious how many people use a naming system. I've thought about changing it a bit and gearing it all more towards each line, but so far, it is what it is.

I only have a few rabbits and we have no pattern in choosing names. We had a nice part-Chinchilla buck named Basil so gave his offspring other herb names: Thyme, Sage and Rosemary. Our old broken black doe was Patches. Her daughter is Alice. I like old-fashioned girls names for does... We've had a Rosamund and a Polly. I don't normally give names to youngsters until I am certain I am keeping them, but Sage's lonely only has managed to secure the name Pudge, for obvious reasons.

Ditto,
DevonW. I name them whatever pops into my head,
though I do try to get names with a different letter of the Alphabet.
This because when I make my Pedigrees I use the first initial of the Dam and Sire.
If each Does name starts with a different letter and the same with the Sires
I can then tell at a glance of the ear tattoo who the parents are.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

My rabbits name themselves. Today, "Number Six" became "Ramblin' Man" on paper (and Hank to those in the know, for short). He miraculously wound up outside of where he belonged, and took himself for a walk.

"Number Eight" is Ocho Rojo. It's the name of a drinking game and happens to match the ear number he wound up with.

"Dot" has a dot on her butt.

"Mama" obviously never really got a name.

"Here's Johnny" is the son of "Red Rum".

"Silvia" came with the tattoo SIL.

I have a special affinity for R names, though. Looking for a rebel theme in the next batch. (If it ever warms up!)

Latest posts

Back