Myxomatosis in rabbits

Help Support RabbitTalk:

Aamir

New member
Joined
Aug 3, 2021
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi!
I have a pregnant rabbit diagnosed with myxomatosis. The vet didn't want to prescribe sth for her, so i just came home. The vet told me that if i feed it, it may have some chances of surviving.
I've read about aspirin as a painkiller used in rabbits. But my concern is that she is pregnant, so i'm just asking if giving her some aspirin to help with inflamation and pain, would do any harm to her unborn rabbits.
Also, what do you think about local lidocain on her lips and eyes areas, where she is super inflamed?
And another question i have: she has to labour on 9th of August. So if she will live till then, and her babyes will live too, will they be borned with this virus but without symptoms, or they will get the virus from the mother and they will eventually die?
I wait for your answers, she's my first rabbit and any oppinion or help is welcomed. Thank you!
 

MaggieJ

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Moderator
Joined
Dec 16, 2009
Messages
17,102
Reaction score
193
Location
South Eastern Ontario
I don't know how aspirin would affect the kits, but willow leaves, twigs and inner bark contain an aspirin-like substance. I fed willow frequently to all my rabbits as part of their natural diet with no ill effects. As far as I know, all willow species can be safely fed. Poplar has similar properties and is also safe.

However, if I had a pregnant doe with something as serious as myxomatosis, I would seriously consider euthanasia to prevent her suffering and to prevent the spread of the disease.
 

Preitler

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 15, 2014
Messages
973
Reaction score
134
Location
Austria
My opinion:
If your doe isn't vaccinated I would estimate her chance of survival at around 5%, if she is a healthy, active and strong rabbit. Being pregnant doesn't help.

The kits are the least of your worries, i would even give her better chances if she would lose the litter, but that's not likely going to happen.
Aspirin could theoretically be extracted from willow bark, but to have any useful effect you would need to feed a lot of it, I don't know how much but I'd rather think she would explode before it comes close to what the medicine does. Not sure if aspirin is the medicine of choice in that situation.
I would reconsider your priorities, and wouldn't put the kits too high up there. I don't know what percentage can become asymptomatic carriers after surviving and healing up properly, but I don't think that's very likely.

I had a Myxo outbrake in my first year with rabbits, I had to euthanise 14 of my 15 rabbits once they struggled to keep breathing, let alone eating or doing anything. Once I realised what I'm dealing with I tried to quarentine them from each other, but sole surviver was my black Fury that shared my kitchen, and then the whole apartment with me for 8 months, she's a very happy, 9yo outdoor bunny now.

Please follow quarentine proceedures as good as you can when dealing with the rabbit, changing clothes and shoes, desinfecting hands, dispose of waste etc. to not spread it to rabbits of people you come in contact with, or to a wild population.
 

northernnevadahollandlops

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 20, 2021
Messages
111
Reaction score
56
I had a Myxo outbrake in my first year with rabbits, I had to euthanise 14 of my 15 rabbits once they struggled to keep breathing, let alone eating or doing anything. Once I realised what I'm dealing with I tried to quarentine them from each other, but sole surviver was my black Fury that shared my kitchen, and then the whole apartment with me for 8 months, she's a very happy, 9yo outdoor bunny now.
@Preitler Do you think you'd be able to help me diagnose a rabbit? I've got a 12 week old who has symptoms of myxomatosis, swollen eye with lesions (photo shows one on top, he also has a hard bump under his eye, which I assume is tear duct blockage), puffy mouth, but not the lethargy or any of the other things, he is eating fine. I'm wondering if it's a dental issue instead. He definitely has some tear duct issue going on. As much as I hate it, I just can't justify a vet expense right now. I'm in the US with no known cases of myxo in my area. I will quarantine him and take precautions not infect anyone else. He has been with my herd since his symptoms started though, well over two weeks, though no one else is showing anything.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20211210_005426712.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211210_005426712.MP.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20211210_005449900.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211210_005449900.MP.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20211210_005531255.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211210_005531255.MP.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 2
Top