MYSTERY Standard Rex rabbit color

Help Support RabbitTalk:

Rancho Madonna

Reaction score
Edited by MaggieJ to add the information that the member who posted this thread is long-time member, Caroline. She will be using her original name for future posts.

Welcome back, Caroline!

This little guy is a color that I have never seen in all the years that I have been breeding Standard Rex Rabbits.

I think he is a solid color but I am not sure

The Sire is broken amber (out of a black otter buck) with a known genotype of AatbbC_D_EeEnen

The dam is a fawn with an known genotype of AaBbC_ddee

the sire's has 3 litter mates that are Californian and one that is black otter.

One of the "Californian" siblings, that looks like a blue Californian, is actually a broken

the other kits in this little guy's litter are: amber, broken red, ermine, and chocolate otter
View attachment 1

Any guesses with their documentation will be gratefully appreciated

SableSteel

Reaction score
Do you have a picture of the ermine sibling? How "red" are its eyes?

I'd be curious to see what this one looked like as it grew up

Right now my two guesses are a chocolate sallander marten with a lot of smut/shading on the sides and a strong ruby cast to the eyes, or a non-extension martenized californian with nestbox frost bringing out those markings on the side.

caroline

RabbitTalk Supporter
Reaction score
the eyes on both the ermine and this "mystery" kit are definitely brown.
I did not notice a ruby cast but will look again tomorrow.
My initial guess was chocolate sallander
but sire has to be Aat so can't get an aa kit in this litter
I go for the martinized calofornian.
but there are not markings on the nose, ears or tail
I am keeping him cuz he intrigues me.
Not that I really have room for ANOTHER ODD buck :)

SableSteel

Reaction score
If they do look brown I think chocolate sallander marten would be the best guess. I can see some marten markings around the eye and jaw.

caroline

RabbitTalk Supporter
Reaction score
This little guy is a color that I have never seen in all the years that I have been breeding Standard Rex Rabbits.

The Sire is broken amber (out of a black otter buck) with a known genotype of AatbbC_D_EeEnen

One of the "Californian" siblings, that looks like a blue Californian, is actually a broken

the other kits in this little guy's litter are: amber, broken red, ermine, and chocolate otter
0HC1-.jpg0HC1.jpg

Ducklove74

Reaction score
Wow...he is cool! Like extremely diluted fawn coloring..serious lack of pigment but yet not quite albino. Have you created a new Rex color? As if their wonderful rainbow wasn't already enough to contend with 😅 I think he is beautiful but as far as what he would be called no idea.

SoftPawsRabbitry

Reaction score

View attachment 24028View attachment 24027
Would he be technically a frosted? I don't do rexes, I have Flemish, tan and champagne who all have to have specific colors lol, but that's a beautiful coat!

Ducklove74

Reaction score
Rexes only have certain recognized colors also but there are so many variations that come from this that are unrecognized colors...and frosted would be ermine genetically they are same in Rex rabbit called ermine not frosted. But his ticking is heavy and very unique for ermine rex.. they are normally just white without red or blue eyes .again very cool looking guy.