Mystery skin lesion-slightly graphic pics

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eco2pia

Staff member
Reaction score
I have jinxed myself. I found a skin lesion on my buck. I don't know when it started because his fur is so thick that despite how yucky this thing is, its invisible until you part the fur.

Anyone know what this is? It's only in the skin on the rabbit's haunch, not connected to the underlying muscle, and it's been there at least a month. It bleeds very rarely, if bumped, and I couldn't figure out where the random drops of blood were coming from. The rabbit shows no other symptoms and is not concerned about me cleaning it for the picture. It's fibrous and has it's own blood supply. I'm thinking some kind of cancer. The buck is under 2 years old.

Sadly this means he's probably headed to freezer camp.
PXL_20220528_022033250.jpg

Well, after a good wash you once again cannot see that there is any wound there. The buck is active and normal in his behavior. After extensive Google searches, I'm guessing that it could be shope's fibroma, which is caused by a virus (RFD) that is transmitted by insects such as mosquitos. Apparently, if I'm careful and keep an eye on it he will recover on his own, and is not contagious to other rabbits. I'm taking the wait and see approach. For now.

Well, after a good wash you once again cannot see that there is any wound there. The buck is active and normal in his behavior. After extensive Google searches, I'm guessing that it could be shope's fibroma, which is caused by a virus (RFD) that is transmitted by insects such as mosquitos. Apparently, if I'm careful and keep an eye on it he will recover on his own, and is not contagious to other rabbits. I'm taking the wait and see approach. For now.
I would employ the same approach as you have chosen. Now that you are aware and the wound is receiving care, he has a great chance of recovery if your deduction is correct. Keep us posted so we can learn with you!

Back