My rabbit addiction is gonna get me in trouble...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinnfox

Reaction score
I have been working out a set of guidelines so I can better manage which rabbits stay and which go, since I'm trying to cut down the numbers here a bit. I randomly browse ads to see how many are for sale at any given time...and try to post mine when there aren't dozens of other ads up. Well thanks to my browsing I found an ad for free Lilacs o.o so now I have the chance to get a pair of pedigreed lilacs for free >.> My husband is going to strangle me >.>

I love my Lilacs and I've only had them since Sunday!! And they are a heritage breed so keeping them is good for the farm culture of America...... Just sayin'

Could be nice!

I think my hubby is fine with the rabbits as long as I don't bring any more horses home, rabbits eat a lot less than horses....

I have some american chinchillas and some silver foxes already...plus my little mutt heard...and I was planning to get some lops...>.> that's why I am in trouble >.> I really need to start finding new homes for the little mutt heard...at least the ones I like to much to use making the dog happy :/

What other types, and how many, rabbits do you have?<br /><br />__________ Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:28 pm __________<br /><br />Never mind. Question answered.

LOL - we went and looked at a few does yesterday. With hubby's help we will only be getting ONE! Otherwise I have to cull somebody. I only have one that is a nonproductive rabbit. But she is a rex and she is sweet and she is old. It's like a sweet little ol' granny bunny. Don't think I can cull her.

Oh in order to encourage me to start posting my little rescues I was told for each i get rid of i can keep one of my Lolly's kits..so i got rid of three...now I want t get two...so I need to get rid of more o_O well at least one more is going today...so um two lolly kits plus lilacs :)? (Lolly's kits are supposed to replace all my failing to produce does, since lolly is an amazing mom and even her runt is thriving)

Holy Cow!! err.. Rabbit!! Me too!!! Thank heavens, I thought I was the only one with a rabbit addiction!! It started out innocent... just 10 little mutt bunnies.. and then Holland Lops.. and then Lionheads... and then Flemish Giants... and then Cottontails.... and then Mini Rex's.... pretty soon my hubby is going to disown me!!! LOL!!! And the worst part, I only started rabbit raising in January.!! I think I am in trouble......

Oh, poo, I gotchya'll beat! Ya'll are just figuring out how to control your own addiction! I'm trying to control my MOTHER's addiction!

Plan from beginning: keep it small. keep it management. Get a quad of Silver Foxes and breed for meat...sale a few maybe to recoup feed costs. Simple.

Mistake made: took Mother to a rabbit show. She went. She saw. She WANTS. We won a JW at one show. Lovely, since then its been "we need a mate for Rafael." "No one around here has JWs, Mom." "Well, get on the computer and fine some." She also insists that she is going to get and breed MiniLops or Holland Lops, whichever I decide to get for her. Of course, Mother has no idea about breeding rabbits. The breeding part will be my job, the loving and spoiling part will be her's.

Of course, I'm not at all addicted myself. I have gone from 5 cages to 9 (2 are larger grow-out cages) and need more...at least 5 more would be good. I grabbed up a French Angora doe that had been a pet, fell in love, and intend to get more to breed (she did have a litter for me --one kit--and I don't think I'll do that to her again). So, you see, I'm perfectly in control of myself. It's mother that is the addicted one.

So nice to know that we aren't alone!

DH has wanted rabbits since before we got married. He finally convinced me that now would be a good time to raise a "few" for meat...yeah, right!

In January, we got talked into a jr trio of Dutch rabbits. Then came the free meat mutts...then he went (alone) to a rabbit show (my bad, I know)! And then, last week, I HAD to evaluate our babies and decided we needed to replace some of the originals with better rabbits. So we're headed to KS in a few hours to look at more bunnies! I may have rabbitosis resistant, but apparently not immune!!

oh if I had the time and money and sheer space..and maybe a few helpers I would probably have two to three times as many as I do...as it stands I am sitting on the verge of my limit and I know it...till the new rabbitry is build at least, that's why I am cutting back on the ones that I know even if I don't like admitting it that aren't really good for what i want to do. going to build one similar to a flush clean...that alone will cut the time the rabbit chores take down. Maybe then I can work on getting a few of the other breeds I dream of...like Americans, or Champagne d’Argents, Standard Rex, and mini lops. :lookout: ok maybe I should stop there >.> before I get in worse trouble.

At least I seem to have suckered my dear man into allowing the lilacs...so we shall see :p

I thought I had rabbitosis until my dw kept finding more on craigslist. Now, she's talking about buying some land so we can increase the size of the rabbitry and gardens. I was thinking maybe 10 acres and she's thinking more like 25. I don't think she's kidding either.

:shock:

Mountain Spice":c96vi5p1 said:
Holy Cow!! err.. Rabbit!! Me too!!! Thank heavens, I thought I was the only one with a rabbit addiction!! It started out innocent... just 10 little mutt bunnies.. and then Holland Lops.. and then Lionheads... and then Flemish Giants... and then Cottontails.... and then Mini Rex's.... pretty soon my hubby is going to disown me!!! LOL!!! And the worst part, I only started rabbit raising in January.!! I think I am in trouble......

Mmmmmm, I am not sure this is the place to seek help :D

There is no such thing as too much land. Unless it's tax time... Otherwise even if you don't use every single acre it keeps you out and about doing things and enjoying life.

Beekeeper10":2xitaum7 said:
TMTex, that sounds like a good plan to me. ;)
:yeahthat: Granted with that much land I'd probably have goats and chickens and fish and *keeps listing other various animals* ...and my silly husband would so let me...only reason he ever says no to a rabbit is I will be low on cage space at the time :p I think he uses me as a scapegoat since he loves playing with the little hoppers :p

avdpas77":uprewhdh said:
Mountain Spice":uprewhdh said:

Oh, we will HELP alright..... :twisted:

Sinnfox":o0k71uqb said:
Beekeeper10":o0k71uqb said:
TMTex, that sounds like a good plan to me. ;)
:yeahthat: Granted with that much land I'd probably have goats and chickens and fish and *keeps listing other various animals* ...and my silly husband would so let me...only reason he ever says no to a rabbit is I will be low on cage space at the time :p I think he uses me as a scapegoat since he loves playing with the little hoppers :p
We have 4.5 acres and I can justify just about anything short of a cow.

I can't imagine the menagerie I'd have on 25 acres. :p Cows! Goats! Sheep! More pigs! More chickens! More ducks! More rabbits!

ALPACA!!

Which reminds me, a guy up the road is selling Muscovy hatchlings at $2 a pop... :cool:

OneAcreFarm":3qpr74yu said:
avdpas77":3qpr74yu said:
Mountain Spice":3qpr74yu said:

Oh, we will HELP alright..... :twisted:

Yep.... I'm in deep trouble!!! LOL!!! :shock:

Latest posts

Back