My newest litter. French lops.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunny love

Reaction score
1week old. And I got another light gray baby, and this super cute orange baby. Not sure on the color of the orange baby. But I got more chestnuts and opals or chins as well. :p

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage (10).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (10).jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 476
Hello! I have recently gotten a pair of French Lops. I was wondering what the average litter size is. Also are there due dates similar to that of a holland lop? 32 days? Also what is a good nest box size for French lops? And last question I have bred a broken magpie and a agouti, anyone know what colors this could produce?

Thank you!

Also are there due dates similar to that of a holland lop? 32 days?
All rabbit breeds take around 32 days to have their Kits
And last question I have bred a broken magpie and a agouti, anyone know what colors this could produce?
Generally depends on their genotypes and what else is in their pedigrees

All rabbit breeds take around 32 days to have their Kits

Generally depends on their genotypes and what else is in their pedigrees
The broken magpie has magpies, Tris, Japanese harlequin, broken magpies, and chinchillas. And orange in the last generation

The agouti buck has harlequin, broken opal, Japanese harlequin, broken black magpie, and frosted pearl. In his last generation on the paper there is a tri, orange, and chinchilla.

Sorry if this dose not help at all! I’m just very curious on the colors and can’t wait to know! Thanks again for any help!

The broken magpie has magpies, Tris, Japanese harlequin, broken magpies, and chinchillas. And orange in the last generation

The agouti buck has harlequin, broken opal, Japanese harlequin, broken black magpie, and frosted pearl. In his last generation on the paper there is a tri, orange, and chinchilla.

Sorry if this dose not help at all! I’m just very curious on the colors and can’t wait to know! Thanks again for any help!
I'm not entirely sure about the "broken magpie." Since a magpie (a chinchilla harlequin) is black and white, it's often hard to tell if it's a broken or not. (Completely white feet are a good clue to broken colored, though.) So leaving aside the question of whether she's broken or not, as a magpie, her genotype would be <A_B_c(chd)_D_e(j)_> or <aaB_c(chd)_D_e(j)e(j)>.

An agouti, assuming it's a chestnut aka black agouti, is <A_B_C_D_E_>.

With these varieties, it's possible that you'll get a rainbow! 😁

A tricolor is a broken harlequin <A_B_C_D_e(j)_Enen>, a magpie is a chinchilla harlequin <A_B_c(chd)_D_e(j)_>, an orange is a non-extension self black <aaB_C_D_ee>. Broken opal is blue agouti <A_B_c(chd)_ddE_Enen>, and frosted pearl is non-extension sable <A_B_c(chl)_D_ee> (usually).

The varieties your two rabbits can or will produce really depend on what they're carrying at the second place in their genotypes (the ones represented with a dash_). Knowing what's on their pedigrees can be some help, but unless their sire and/or dam is a recessive color, like non-extension or dilute, it's not always very predictive regarding what the rabbit will be carrying. So, when you're making a list of what's on the pedigree, it's most helpful to specify what varieties the sire and dam are, in particular; if they're a recessive color, you can be sure their offspring will get at least one copy of that recessive allele.

Things like dilute and non-extension can hide for a long time, or they can drop out in a generation, so there's a chance that the buck carries dilute, and a chance that both carry non-extension. The only way you'd know for sure without test breeding is if the sire or dam was one of those colors.

But only knowing their phenotypes, a first approximation of offspring varieties would be:
Chestnut <A_B_C_D_E>
Chinchilla <A_B_c(chd)_D_E>
Harlequin (aka Japanese) <A_B_C_D_e(j)_>
Magpie (chinchilla harlequin) <A_B_c(chd)_D_e(j)_>

Based on the pedigrees, also possible would be:
Orange (non-extension chestnut)
Ermine (non-extension chinchilla)
Sable agouti (aka sable chinchilla) <A_B_c(chl)_D_E_>
Sable chinchilla harlequin (aka sable magpie) <A_B_c(chl)_D_e(j)_>

And there's almost always the chance of a REW popping out when you don't know for sure what's at the C locus.

If the doe is actually broken colored, about half of the bunnies would be brokens (which could include tricolors).

Harlequins can actually be selfs or carry self, and if both rabbits are/do you might also get self blacks, self blues, self chinchillas (which look like self blacks) or torted harlequins, among other varieties.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back