My Holland lop doe had only 1 kit and it was dead!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nik.beth17

Reaction score
I have a year old Holland lop who was pregnant today is day 30 she delivered one kit of a good size about an hour or so ago. Sadly it was dead and she had already started to eat the baby. We took it out of the cage. She has since been cleaning herself and done some fur pulling, has hopped in the nesting box for a little while and back out. I went to pet her to check on her because I’m concerned and she’s my girl and I want to feel her belly and she immediately laid down. Idk how common it is for Holland’s to have only 1 baby or how long labor can actually take. The internet can be so misleading and idk what’s true and what’s not help is much appreciated

Hi Nik.beth,

There's a good chance she may not be finished kindling. Usually the kits come fairly quickly, but not always. As long as she does not seem distressed or in pain, just leave her to it, except to peek in at her now and again.

Hope you have a pleasant surprise in the nest box come morning!

Hi Nik.beth,

There's a good chance she may not be finished kindling. Usually the kits come fairly quickly, but not always. As long as she does not seem distressed or in pain, just leave her to it, except to peek in at her now and again.

Hope you have a pleasant surprise in the nest box come morning!
Thank you! This is my first time and hers as well so we are both learning. When I read online that the whole process should only take 30 min I started to really worry

Many times it only takes about half an hour, but it can vary quite a bit. Quite right to ask and put your mind at ease. There are no guarantees, but there is also no action you need to take as long as she seems okay.

its very common for rabbits to lose their first ever litters, so don’t feel bad. Keep breeding her again and she should get used to it. I have a doe who had a rough first couple litters but she does well now. Keep trying! If she keeps having all stillborns, phase her out of breeding. Sometimes smaller breeds have more trouble

first litters are normally small to nothing and every now n then, they die as well. Re breed her when she's ready and I'm sure it will work out better!

Latest posts

Back