My First Purebred Litter

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buknee

Bella Rose Rabbitry
Reaction score
Meet Hershey & Patterson. I am so excited to have these two successfully mate. They are the first purebred kindle in my rabbitry. Today I have 6 beautiful Rex babies.
So you color experts, any ideas?20220927_134002.jpg
20221028_130606.jpg20221028_130513.jpg

Attachments

• 20220927_134002.jpg
    20220927_134002.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
That's exciting!! From what I can see in the pictures, you have a solid castor (the ear has a lighter inside, so that is not a black). You also have a broken castor (or broken black, I can't quite tell if the inside of the ears are lighter. Definitely leaning more towards castor, though.). The others are brokens and look like dilute colors, with maybe the one closest in the first kit picture going to be a dilute tri? The kit on the top in the first picture seems to have slightly darker markings, but I can't see enough to tell what the color would be.

That's exciting!! From what I can see in the pictures, you have a solid castor (the ear has a lighter inside, so that is not a black). You also have a broken castor (or broken black, I can't quite tell if the inside of the ears are lighter. Definitely leaning more towards castor, though.). The others are brokens and look like dilute colors, with maybe the one closest in the first kit picture going to be a dilute tri? The kit on the top in the first picture seems to have slightly darker markings, but I can't see enough to tell what the color would be.
Thank you so much for the color information. I got the doe from a great gal at MuddyFarms. Beautiful rabbit weighing in at 9 pounds 9 ounces before breeding. Not sure of her current weight. Please feel free to use me as a reference for future sales.

They are looking great! You have at least one tri that's looking black/orange. Also for sure a solid castor and a broken black, as it doesn't look like it has the lighter area in the ears like the solid castor. Really interested in the bottom kit in the picture from today...seems awfully like a red, but it could also be an amber? Usually the ambers in my herd are more chocolatey-colored at first.

I can't tell for sure on the others. There is the one you took an individual picture of- it's blue-based, but not a self blue. It should be a lynx or lilac (too light to be an opal?). Sometimes you have to let them grow out a bit to see their fur come in to tell the difference on those.

Thanks for sharing pictures!! Always nice to see bunnies. :)

Thank you so much for the color information. I got the doe from a great gal at MuddyFarms. Beautiful rabbit weighing in at 9 pounds 9 ounces before breeding. Not sure of her current weight. Please feel free to use me as a reference for future sales.

Thanks, Buknee!

Really! What were you expecting? How are they different?
Right! LOL
I have no idea why. A friend had a litter of Rex and can't bring himself to butcher them. So he traded me one of his bucks for one of my NZ does. I was hooked. Not only is their personality amazing but I love their fur. I now have a few mixed Rex and my purebred pair with 6 littles. They are so sweet!

Right! LOL
I have no idea why. A friend had a litter of Rex and can't bring himself to butcher them. So he traded me one of his bucks for one of my NZ does. I was hooked. Not only is their personality amazing but I love their fur. I now have a few mixed Rex and my purebred pair with 6 littles. They are so sweet!
They are so precocious!

They are looking great! You have at least one tri that's looking black/orange. Also for sure a solid castor and a broken black, as it doesn't look like it has the lighter area in the ears like the solid castor. Really interested in the bottom kit in the picture from today...seems awfully like a red, but it could also be an amber? Usually the ambers in my herd are more chocolatey-colored at first.

I can't tell for sure on the others. There is the one you took an individual picture of- it's blue-based, but not a self blue. It should be a lynx or lilac (too light to be an opal?). Sometimes you have to let them grow out a bit to see their fur come in to tell the difference on those.

Thanks for sharing pictures!! Always nice to see bunnies. :)
I added new photos. When you have a spare moment, would you tell me what colors they are considered? The first and fifth photo especially. The castor and broken black are pretty simple. Thank you!

Nice pictures! No wonder the bunny in the first picture there was confusing! It's looking like a broken tort, with the darkened ears. Still looking like a broken red in the fifth picture, but it could also be an amber. You'll have to watch for banding to come in on that one to tell the difference.

Does that line up with what you've been thinking? It's one of the most fun parts to be trying to ID each kit's colors and keep seeing if we were right as they get older. :) Doing it on every litter and then logging the pictures taken at different ages with the colors we thought they were at each stage can be a fun way to learn them.

Here is also a helpful site for learning the colors, but sadly they don't have pictures of kits at all the stages of color changes: Mini Rex Color Guide

Last edited:
Nice pictures! No wonder the bunny in the first picture there was confusing! It's looking like a broken tort, with the darkened ears. Still looking like a broken red in the fifth picture, but it could also be an amber. You'll have to watch for banding to come in on that one to tell the difference.

Does that line up with what you've been thinking? It's one of the most fun parts to be trying to ID each kit's colors and keep seeing if we were right as they get older. :) Doing it on every litter and then logging the pictures taken at different ages with the colors we thought they were at each stage can be a fun way to learn them.

Here is also a helpful site for learning the colors, but sadly they don't have pictures of kits at all the stages of color changes: Mini Rex Color Guide
The guide is really helpful. Thank you. There are so many shades it can be confusing.

Latest posts

Back