My doe got loose...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ptbunny8087

Reaction score
This morning I cam out to feed the rabbits and I notice my doe was loose and was in the alfalfa bag. Once I get her out I notice she ate about a handful of long alfalfa pieces. I know alfalfa is pretty bad for them when they have to much so is there anything I can give her or take away so she doesn't get sick?

:bounce: :wbounce: :bananadance: :rotfl: :tornado:

lol love the smilies

Alfalfa is excellent for rabbits. It is high in protein, stimulates gut motility, and gives them something to munch on all day long. I would argue that hay is the most important feed you can offer your rabbits. It also seems to their favorite. :)

Pt - I know what you are talking about. I have seen lots of places that say to give alfalfa only in limited quantities. Many of the "what can bunnies eat" lists say to keep it to small amounts. I think it is something about throwing off the protein vs something else balance. Can't remember for sure. It baffled me when I was first reading on things to feed besides pellets. There is so much conflicting info out there that it can drive you nuts. But I don't think you need to worry about her.

I think the problem you are worried about is when bunnies that are being kept as pets eat pellets and lots of alfalfa hay. Since pet bunnies aren't breeding and are generally living fairly laid back lives, they don't need the same number of calories, amount of protein, etc as bunnies that are growing for meat or raising litters. Most bunny pellets are made with alfalfa so more alfalfa hay on top of that, long term, can be too much of a good thing. I'm sure she'll be fine after her midnight binge :lol:

You got a smart rabbit there. She found a way to get her own chow. :)

She'll be fine.

Back