Mulching manure

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve ordered an electric muncher/chipper due to come today. I’m so excited, I hope it works for this. The gas driven ones are just too big and bulky for me so I am hoping an electric one does the trick.
You should be ok. Just put smaller portions in. I will need to spread the compost out on a tarp n let the sun dry t out a bit. Too wet to mulch it and it balls things up. Adding woody material helps the overall tilth of the soil. Leaves n such are good. Your plants will like you makes good potting soil also.

You should be ok. Just put smaller portions in. I will need to spread the compost out on a tarp n let the sun dry t out a bit. Too wet to mulch it and it balls things up. Adding woody material helps the overall tilth of the soil. Leaves n such are good. Your plants will like you makes good potting soil also.
I'm assuming you are having to dry your droppings because they are landing on the ground, mixing with urine. Correct? My row-out cages are at this moment using that system. My breeder hutch has a system that is separating urine and feces to a degree, so I might be able to skip the drying step for those cages, at least. Thank you for your input with regards to your mulching experience.

I'm assuming you are having to dry your droppings because they are landing on the ground, mixing with urine. Correct? My row-out cages are at this moment using that system. My breeder hutch has a system that is separating urine and feces to a degree, so I might be able to skip the drying step for those cages, at least. Thank you for your input with regards to your mulching experience.
Actually with the big mulcher it would eat through it but then I ended up drying it out on a tarp spread out in the sun. Figured with the electric mulcher it may work better drying first. No it's wet down in the middle of the pile as it was rained on m such. Good for all the microbial organisms in it.
Just figured that drying it a bit first would save time n labor later and make mulching faster

Actually with the big mulcher it would eat through it but then I ended up drying it out on a tarp spread out in the sun. Figured with the electric mulcher it may work better drying first. No it's wet down in the middle of the pile as it was rained on m such. Good for all the microbial organisms in it.
Just figured that drying it a bit first would save time n labor later and make mulching faster
I'm currently catching my solids on 1/4 inch hardware cloth which keeps the poop somewhat suspended and allows the urine to fall through. I am hoping this will keep it dry enough to skip the need for drying on a tarp or such. I will let you know!

I recommend chickens! Our chickens turn over the rabbit poop and hay daily and pick out all the weed seeds, too. (along with any spilled rabbit food, BOSS, etc) They are so excited when I bring out a fresh bucket of poop.

I have been throwing it in the garden, but we are finally going to plant something (probably too late) I have an old (pink) child swimming pool with holes in it. (I did mention I don't throw ANYTHING away) I am using it to throw the poop in. The chickens just hop in and scratch away. From a distance, it looks like they are swimming LOL.
- Liz
Chicken poop is an excellent source of nutrition for many vegetables, dry it out then just mix it into your soil, rake it in well and it won't need doing again for around 3 to 4 months.

Olb
well, it was a bust! The electric mulched did great on my garden trimmings, but the rabbit poo just fell through untouched. Back to the drawing board!

I'm currently catching my solids on 1/4 inch hardware cloth which keeps the poop somewhat suspended and allows the urine to fall through. I am hoping this will keep it dry enough to skip the need for drying on a tarp or such. I will let you know!
The slope on my screen is about 30 degrees. I find I need to "shake" it often to get them to roll into the bucket.

We just scoop the bunny berries from under the hutches and put about a 4" layer on top of the garden. That's dug into the top soil a bit and then planted. No mulching or composting, just bunny berries straight on the garden. We do have about seven to ten feet of rain a year, though, maybe that breaks them down?

Back