Mosquitoes in nest box

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbits by Accident

Reaction score
Hi again!

I really appreciate the help and knowledge in this group. Things in my rabbitry seem to be going quite well! All the kits are healthy and happy, the rabbits have settled in. Life is good!

We are in Central Texas right below Dallas. It's not cold enough yet for the mosquitoes to be gone. I found many many mosquitoes in one of the nest boxes. This is a box that is oversized, actually an old drawer with one side missing. I put a top on it that covered the whole top, unlike a traditional nest box that only goes about halfway. There are 9 babies in there. It's warm enough that they are not covered by fur and hay during the daytime and the mosquitoes are biting them.

I cut the top back to cover only about two-thirds of the top, and cut the sides at an angle so it more resembles a traditional nest box.

When I checked again there were still some mosquitoes so I removed the top and will replace it tonight before I close them down for the night.

This may be a possible solution, removing the top during the daytime, but I wondered if anyone else had a better idea. I did search but I didn't see anyone else talking about mosquitoes except in a tractor which isn't exactly the same situation.

All suggestions are appreciated!

Liz

Do you have catnip growing anywhere nearby? Try rubbing the juice into the wood inside the box. It's a good repellent.

IMPORTANT: Do not let the doe eat any catnip. Rubbed into the wood won't hurt, but the herb itself -- although not toxic -- will dry up her milk supply if she eats it. All the mints plus garden sage have this effect, so caution is needed.

Latest posts

Back