More respiratory issues

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanaYares

Reaction score
My American doe (Alice) has been sneezing lately, but then escalated to having clear then cloudy mucus coming out of her nose. She also showed signs of labored breathing last night, and I thought she was a goner.

I have my rabbits in an outdoor colony where they are free to burrow, and Alice is the chief digger.

Anyway, I took her out of the colony last night and put her into a wire hutch. By this morning her nose was clear and no sneezing.

We totally cleaned out the colony of all hay sticks, opened up the burrows to let air in and turned any moist soil to let is dry out.

When we put Alice back in the colony after the cleaning, she almost immediately started sneezing again.

I'm hesitant to keep her out for too long as she has some 3 week old kits who are not fully weaned yet.

Any ideas what could be causing this? :?

Possibly an allergy or a mould (mold) issue. Is there a shrub or tree creating excess pollen near the colony? It's long-shot, but perhaps when you removed her to the cage she was away from whatever is making her sneeze.

Back