Momma had 2 litters a month apart!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krae

Reaction score
So we have a few ground rabbits. 1 week ago, we saw babies come out of a ground nest and start running around. My cat started to chase them, so we put them up in a hutch until they are a little bigger. They look like they are about 1 month old today. The problem is, we went out to feed them this morning, and the momma had another litter overnight! So now there are newborns in with bigger babies. I am assuming we have to take the older litter out for the newborns to survive, but we don’t normally take babies away from their mommas that soon. Is the older litter going to be ok without momma at this point?

In the case of back-to-back litters the kits can be weaned at 4 weeks. And should be, they would raiding the milk buffet and possibly trampling the nest. You can supplement their diet (all the stuff the doe gets) with some mushed pellets and kitchen oatmeal.

If the buck is still with the doe it can well be that she's pregnant again already, at that pace you'll wear her out pretty fast. There might be high performence lines that could deal with that for some time, but I doubt it's a good thing for average rabbits.

So we have a few ground rabbits. 1 week ago, we saw babies come out of a ground nest and start running around. My cat started to chase them, so we put them up in a hutch until they are a little bigger. They look like they are about 1 month old today. The problem is, we went out to feed them this morning, and the momma had another litter overnight! So now there are newborns in with bigger babies. I am assuming we have to take the older litter out for the newborns to survive, but we don’t normally take babies away from their mommas that soon. Is the older litter going to be ok without momma at this point?
Welcome. That sounds like a handful.😊 Any pictures?

Latest posts

Back