Molting?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerriG

Reaction score
Sorry to bomb the page with posts. Just finished morning chores and have several questions.

I noticed today that one of my does (she was born in the spring and is pg with her first litter) has almost a patchwork look to her coat. I have never noticed it before. Could she be molting or getting ready to molt? I had no idea that rabbits molted until I saw it mentioned here on RT. I have only been raising rabbits since August, so there's lots of things I am learning.

It is a bit late for molting, it is usually a Fall thing (except for the original juvenile moult) but I still have one doe that is moulting. I guess there is a possibility of some kind of disease, but I think you would be losing hair down to bare skin in that case.

This may vary between breeds, so hopefully others will comment. I suspect that you are correct and it is simply a regular moult and nothing to be concerned over.

I'll see if I can get some pics later. I am hoping to be able to get new pics of the kits too. They are into the really bad popping stage, so I need an extra set of hands.

avdpas77":3a39kekm said:
It is a bit late for molting, it is usually a Fall thing (except for the original juvenile moult) but I still have one doe that is moulting. I guess there is a possibility of some kind of disease, but I think you would be losing hair down to bare skin in that case.

This may vary between breeds, so hopefully others will comment. I suspect that you are correct and it is simply a regular moult and nothing to be concerned over.

The wollys and one Rex are still moulting. Ugly brown on the chin buck, and a few naked places on the wooly sr, baby hair still on the wooly jr. But really my group should be done by now too.

Pics I took this afternoon. Hopefully you can see what I am talking about.

IMG_20121212_144254.jpg

IMG_20121212_144325.jpg

Can you see how it almost looks like a patchwork or something? Her fur is normally just a solid buff down to her white belly, not patches of different shades.

looks like molt to me. That's what my hollands look like when they molt. The JW go bald and the Rex look scorched brown.

Looks like molting. That's how my ND Willard molts. My Flemish Fawkes has that right now because he's getting his adult coat in.

Karen

Rabbits can molt any time of the year, like farm birds, it depends on when they were born as well.

Latest posts

Back