Missouri Cottontails

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't heard anyone mention raising them. I didn't know anyone raised wild rabbits at all, though I think Shara was considering it for a while.

Ya, I have a idea playing in my head on raising jackrabbits, although right before gramma passed, she saw a pygmy, and they are ADORABLE. I dont raise them yet, though, and may never. My plans would take a lot of money and time to bring about.

Oakville we use em to train our beagles when we can find em they are few and far between you know anyone wit em I wouldn't mind driven to get some I can sell dog training rabbits all day long

Runnin":1fcfhjay said:
Oakville we use em to train our beagles when we can find em they are few and far between you know anyone wit em I wouldn't mind driven to get some I can sell dog training rabbits all day long

I don't know how far you want to drive, but I have a trio and my friend that I got them from has a barn full, as well as a nice sized running pen with quite a few in it.

well i have an aunt in North carolina and we go through virginia when we go down think ima be going down this spring so ill get ahold of ya as much in advance as i can and if you or someone you know has some ill come get some

Runnin":129gsjjc said:
well i have an aunt in North carolina and we go through virginia when we go down think ima be going down this spring so ill get ahold of ya as much in advance as i can and if you or someone you know has some ill come get some

Sounds like a plan. Give me a shout when you know when you will be headed this way.

Cotton tails are never going to tame down, most people raise San Juan, they do tame down but look like a cotton tail, most people don't know the difference.

I was reading an article on the San Juans- I believe the link is in this forum somewhere. San Juans are the same rabbits we have-- just feral!!! They are NOT native to these shores, just opportunistic invaders, the same as the rabbits in Australia are..

But the idea of raising cottontails-- hmmmm, large pasture with escape proof fencing, plenty of' acclimating to your presence, and let naturerun it's course...
But, I think I want swamp rabbits-- would need to install a pond for them!!!

Swamp Rabbit (Sylvilagus aquaticus)
Fact sheet from The Mammals of Texas includes photo, physical description, range within the state, and habits.
www.nsrl.ttu.edu/tmot1/sylvaqua.htm

My husband is set on finding a nest of cottontails this spring and letting our rabbits raise them so he can have cottontails. Since he frequently asks me where something is that he just walked over, under, or around I'm not too worried he's going to accomplish finding any cottontail nests.

akane":2axwdm4j said:
...Since he frequently asks me where something is that he just walked over, under, or around I'm not too worried he's going to accomplish finding any cottontail nests.
:laugh2: :rotfl:

I think he must be related to my husband! I just nod and smile when he gets some crazy idea going...without me to help, it ain't gonna happen. It just seems to get forgotten and go away, or stay in the land of "someday".

Why do I keep hearing the score from "Man From La Mancha" in my head?
To dream the imposibble dream LALA Everybody sing. :lol:

Back