Misshapen ear? Ear mites?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernnevadahollandlops

Reaction score
First time bunny mom here. One of my 7 week old dwarf Holland lops seems to have a malformed ear. Anyone seen this before? It looks like it's lopping the wrong way. Also, I'm wondering if he might have ear mites as the skin on the edges of his ear is dry and flaky. I have some ivermectin, but wondering about the dosage. I'll keep pursuing the forum too. PXL_20210902_213812761.MP.jpg

The Ivermectin dosage we use on the angoras here (about a five to six pound rabbit) is a smear in their ear about the size of a split pea. One in each ear and clears up ear and wool mites.

Not sure why your Holland lop's ear is doing whatever it is doing, though. We generally try to keep them from lopping with the angoras. They say hot weather can make a rabbit's ear drop since they use them as radiators and more blood flow in a young bunny's ear can cause it to become heavier and drop when their muscles are still young and undeveloped.

In my experience with Holland’s, ear carriage issues almost always stem from the crown being too narrow or the base of that skull just not substantial enough to support the drape of those ears in that individual. Holland’s are not what I would consider an “easy breed” because they do have so many faults with those crowns and ears- breeding to the standard requires a ton of culling. And then there’s the issue of having beautiful, massive headed parents who win tables- but go to breed them and mom can’t pass those babies and put live kits in the box.

In my experience with Holland’s, ear carriage issues almost always stem from the crown being too narrow or the base of that skull just not substantial enough to support the drape of those ears in that individual. Holland’s are not what I would consider an “easy breed” because they do have so many faults with those crowns and ears- breeding to the standard requires a ton of culling. And then there’s the issue of having beautiful, massive headed parents who win tables- but go to breed them and mom can’t pass those babies and put live kits in the box.
Thank you! That makes sense as his head does seem really narrow. Plus he's really anxious and skittish, keeps to himself a lot.

The Ivermectin dosage we use on the angoras here (about a five to six pound rabbit) is a smear in their ear about the size of a split pea. One in each ear and clears up ear and wool mites.

Not sure why your Holland lop's ear is doing whatever it is doing, though. We generally try to keep them from lopping with the angoras. They say hot weather can make a rabbit's ear drop since they use them as radiators and more blood flow in a young bunny's ear can cause it to become heavier and drop when their muscles are still young and undeveloped.
Thank you! I will try a little smear on his ears.

skittishness has nothing to do with ear carriage. He looks young yet. It takes a while for their heads to come in. He doesn't look to be show quality. Takes up to two years for their heads to develop properly.

Back