Mini lop x NZ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cottie

Reaction score
I have some beautiful mini lop does. I love their coats.

My NZ buck appears to be a meaty fellow, but is a little on the small side I think.

What I'd really like to do is breed the mini lop with the NZ, and see what I get. I know there's a science to it, but no matter how much I read up it isn't clicking.<br /><br />__________ Sat May 25, 2013 11:46 am __________<br /><br />Here are some pics. We just weighed them both. She's about 3lbs 4oz and he's just over 4lbs. Both are ~16 weeks.

Isn't that kind of big for a mini lop? Do I even have mini lops? :shock:

Shhh no one tell the man I brought the bunnies in the house.

DSC_0191.jpgDSC_0185.jpg

:shock:

Which one? The buck is the broken...red? He was sold to me as a NZ. If he's not a NZ, what is he? :?

The doe is the other. I'm not sure what official color she is. She was sold to me as a mini lop.

That is a REALLY little NZ...or a really big Lop, LOL! I was going to say "too much size difference between the breeds" but the buck isn't much bigger than the Lop, so..........I say go for it. :) Just have a clear idea of what to do with the offspring and it should be fine. :)

I don't think he's a red. He looks more Tort colored to me. Let me find a picture of a broken red so that we can compare.

Looks like they'll be fine to breed, I'd wait for her to grow up a little more though.

He tried mounting her while we had them running around and she just did the bear skin rug thing on the floor. She's not ready to be impregnated. I'm going to give her another month and try again.

My plan - *snort* - is to build rabbit tractors for over the summer. My Cali/Rex buck is going in with the larger does, and I want to put this guy in with the mini lops.

Cattle Cait":2e9q7iet said:
I don't think he's a red. He looks more Tort colored to me. Let me find a picture of a broken red so that we can compare.

Looks like they'll be fine to breed, I'd wait for her to grow up a little more though.

Yeah now that I'm looking, it looks like he has a darker "butterfly" on his face. RJ, do you have a picture that shows the right side of his face better?

Nothing wrong with torts, they're cute as the dickens! But I agree I don't think he's red. Or a pure NZ.

He IS really cute though. :)

Here I've attached pictures of a Cinnamon (a Tort colored breed) and a Red New Zealand to compare. Doesn't mean your bun is a Cinnamon, because the color appears in other breeds and can pop up in crossbreeding, but I think he's a broken patterned Tort. Nothing bad, still adorable!

Attachments

• red new zealad.jpg
    red new zealad.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,083
  • cinnamon.jpg
    cinnamon.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 1,083
Yes. He does have a lot of dark patches. Here's his right side.

DSC_0134-2.jpg

I'm not too upset that he's not a red. I just feel stupid for not knowing. :lol: When we started this I thought, "Rabbits are rabbits. I'll get ones bred for being fatter." D'oh...<br /><br />__________ Sat May 25, 2013 12:32 pm __________<br /><br />Ugh. I hate to be nagging with so many questions, but would anyone mind if I made a thread (or even here) with pictures of ALLLLL my stock so I could get a detailed ledger going?

RJ":19civgk6 said:
He tried mounting her while we had them running around and she just did the bear skin rug thing on the floor. She's not ready to be impregnated. I'm going to give her another month and try again.

My plan - *snort* - is to build rabbit tractors for over the summer. My Cali/Rex buck is going in with the larger does, and I want to put this guy in with the mini lops.

We have rabbit tractors for the fryers, just be sure to put a floor in like chicken wire or something, otherwise they'll leave. We've had a few litters born in the woodpile... :oops:

I'd give her at least until six months. Generally at that age they're grown up enough physically and mentally to handle becoming a mother.

She might be a touch on the small side, and she is too young to breed.
You shouldn't breed a ML doe before about 6 months.
And he doesn't really look 100% NZ. I would let them each grow a couple more months. <br /><br /> __________ Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:05 am __________ <br /><br /> She might be a touch on the small side, and she is too young to breed.
You shouldn't breed a ML doe before about 6 months.
And he doesn't really look 100% NZ. I would let them each grow a couple more months.

Hey Cottie,

I'm not going to repeat what everyone else has already said, but it's so funny you mentioned this. I have a mini Lop named, Atilla the Bun. And my ex has a new Zealand red.

We may have unintentionally bred them because I was giving him exercise in her run area. And towards the end of when I was bringing him over was about the time Cinnamon Buns got pregnant.

The only thing is during the same time she got pregnant, a very brave wild rabbit stood down my ex pulling into his driveway in his car.

So we could either have a possible new breed or a we could have a partially wild rabbit.

IMG_20230603_124039227.jpgIMG_20230602_164837391.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back