Mini Lop and New Zealand Rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini_lop_mama

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am trying to get opinions on my situation...

So my ex has a New Zealand Rabbit and I was taking my Mini Lop, Atilla the Bun, to his yard to get exercise in the New Zealand's run. They seemed to cozy up to each other towards the end of our visits.

Anyway, one thing led to another and the New Zealander, Cinnamon Buns, got pregnant. The only thing is that during the period she got pregnant, my ex saw an unusually brave wild rabbit in his driveway. Like this rabbit stood down a car when my ex tried to park his car and refused to move. This seems unusual for wild rabbit behavior.

Is it even possible for a tiny Mini Lop to breed with a huge New Zealand Rabbit? Or is it more likely that a wild rabbit is the dad. Are Mini Lops born with floppy ears?

I am attaching pictures of Atilla and three of the six babies. I'll try to add a picture of Mama if I can but she doesn't stay still for long.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Have a lovely evening!

- Mini Lop Mama

IMG_20230603_124039227.jpg

IMG_20230602_164837391.jpg

can the mini lop breed with a new zealand? YES.

I had a 2 lb lion head who (it was hugely funny) successfully bred with a very willing flemish/new zealand cross. Like 2 lbs with a 15 lb rabbit... just hilarious.

Just because the lop has floppy ears does not mean the kits will since they are crossbreds.

Hey everyone,

I am trying to get opinions on my situation...

So my ex has a New Zealand Rabbit and I was taking my Mini Lop, Atilla the Bun, to his yard to get exercise in the New Zealand's run. They seemed to cozy up to each other towards the end of our visits.

Anyway, one thing led to another and the New Zealander, Cinnamon Buns, got pregnant. The only thing is that during the period she got pregnant, my ex saw an unusually brave wild rabbit in his driveway. Like this rabbit stood down a car when my ex tried to park his car and refused to move. This seems unusual for wild rabbit behavior.

Is it even possible for a tiny Mini Lop to breed with a huge New Zealand Rabbit? Or is it more likely that a wild rabbit is the dad. Are Mini Lops born with floppy ears?

I am attaching pictures of Atilla and three of the six babies. I'll try to add a picture of Mama if I can but she doesn't stay still for long.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Have a lovely evening!

- Mini Lop Mama

View attachment 35988

View attachment 35989
Yes, little bucks can definitely breed big does. Mini Lops at 4.5-6.5 lbs aren't actually all that small, anyway, so I doubt it was difficult. In fact if they "cozied up" I'd say it would be difficult to believe they would not end up producing babies! ;)

As @RabbitsOfTheCreek pointed out, it's unlikely a wild rabbit would successfully breed a domestic one; for one thing, they're different species. On the other hand, if the "wild rabbit" was actually a feral rabbit, i.e. a domestic rabbit that got loose (or whose ancestors got loose), you certainly could have had a pairing.

You don't mention what color the New Zealand is but since the Mini Lop is chestnut and you got chestnuts and an orange/red kits, it's quite believable that the Mini Lop is the sire.

As for the floppy ears, crossbreed bunnies may or may not end up with lopped ears (or one of each). But either way they won't be born with lopped ears, rather the ears will fall as they grow (or not).

Latest posts

Back