Mineral/salt lick

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paper_crane2

Reaction score
Is a mineral/salt lick needed for rabbits? I'm planning on feeding sprouted fodder, timothy hay, and other greens (dandelions, other weeds/ garden produce and the like for treats).

Doesn't hurt...just in case they're missing something from their diet that we don't pick up on. I have both in my bun's cages...they don't use them much except to play with. Cheap insurance:)

If you are not feeding pellets, it is definitely a good idea to give them a trace mineral salt block. You can buy a five pound block of the reddish-brown type intended for general livestock for about $3 or so. Just knock chunks off it with a hammer if your rabbits are in individual cages. You might want to serve it in small ceramic crocks to save your cage wire from the salt. I get the straight-sided ramekins at the dollar store, usually 2/$1.

My rabbits didn't seem to use them for a while, but now they do. :) I use the 50# blocks.

I collected tuna and cat food cans to put my blocks in. I punched two holes in the side and zip-tied them to the wire. The rabbits like to pull on the cans, though, and a lot of the zip ties have snapped. I need to replace them with wire, but haven't yet done so. Thankfully, our climate is very dry, so I haven't noticed any damage to the wire from the "free" salt blocks. Yet. ;)

Latest posts

Back