Mice people, I need your help

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
I am wanting to build a mouse proof cage, just like a rabbit cage, where I can store potatoes and the such within. My house, cellar, yard has mice, field mice all over.
What size wire would I need to keep them out??
I cannot find anything special just to keep them out online..

Darn, that's going to be pricy, guess I need to make solid wall box and just have the front mesh... :(

could try making it like an pie safe. Take vegetable cans, cut them open, pound into shape for the metal parts. Do a metal insert, on each side. Will cut down on wood used and could look neat.
- These can be swap day items, too.

Did you ever think of suspending it from the ceiling? Mice will find a way in. Once they know there is food there, if they can't find a way they will make a way. I would try suspending it from the ceiling, in the middle of the room if necessary. Mice are very creative when it comes to food. Especially field mice.

Karen

ChickiesnBunnies":3ni6u2at said:
What about using metal frame and metal window screening?
If you have a dark place, so that he potatoes and other vegetables will not start rooting.
The mice could be eating outside, too and just using your house for extra groceries. I would use traps and
get rid of the mice.
I have used chocolate ex-lax 2 or 3 times in the 20+ years we have been here, with success, every time.
Took about 1/4 of a box and about 4 days. I started as soon as we realized there 'might' be mice around.
Warning: chocolate is not good for dogs or cats and Ex-lax is 'badddd' - do not let your other pets, get to it.
Chocolate Ex-lax is the most natural pest control that I know of, though.

We do have poison and traps set, but they always find a way in and I don't want them ruining everything.

Mice can climb, they would find a way even if hung. But I said I wanted to hang them anyway, so the ground won't contaminate them.

ChickiesnBunnies":2cp65ydy said:
We do have poison and traps set, but they always find a way in and I don't want them ruining everything.

Mice can climb, they would find a way even if hung. But I said I wanted to hang them anyway, so the ground won't contaminate them.

True but a single high strength wire will be secure enough to keep them away. Believe me, mice have no interest in looking up. And in the center of the room, they won't get to it.

A mouse must have an exit before he will enter. Tough when it's in the middle of the room to gain access.

Karen

Guess I need to gather up enough courage to go down there and get things set up to hang a cage...lol.

if you have no rodents or small animals in your house I'd get a mice begone silent noise maker thing-a-ma-bob. They'll keep the mice and other such rodents out of a given area. Just not so good if you have small critters in your house of the hunted prey variety.

I don't believe in those things and I have 6 guinea pigs, so can't use that.
My mother used one and said her dog refused to come back into the house for 8 solid days! She slept outside, would loose her mind if you tried to carry her back in...So, can't be good for any animals that have better hearing than humans, which is like all of them...lol.

Latest posts

Back