Meat Rabbits in SW Kansas Needing New Home

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtower

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Wasn't sure whether to put this in the "Re-homing" or "Meat Rabbit" category... Moderators, feel free to move this if appropriate. Thanks!

Anyway, I have a very nice, registered trio of Florida White meat rabbits. Two senior does, one senior buck, all around 18 months old, I think... Have to check the pedigrees.

I'd like to find a good home for this trio. We've got a freezer full of rabbit meat. The does are great producers and excellent mothers. And I'm ready to try an new experiment.

I built a nice, large shadehouse to protect the rabbits from the southwest Kansas winter winds and help keep them cool in summer. Now I'm going to move the rabbit cages out, put in an in-ground tank and see if I can raise channel catfish in there.

So, if anyone within driving distance of the Rolla/Elkhart, Kansas area is interested in meat rabbits, I have everything you need to put yourself in business immediately. Lots of nice, clean cages and all the accessories.

I'm easy to get along with so if your budget is tight, let's talk. My greatest concern is finding someone who will give these rabbits the best of care. (I've even been known to 'give' things to the right home!) Seriously, I just want to find a good, safe, caring home for these beautiful bunnies.

Please PM me if you're interested. I'll provide a phone number if you'd like to call.

I'll probably call this in to a local radio show tomorrow but wanted to see if anyone on RT was interested first, or knew anyone who might be.

Thank you!

What's this, rtower? :cry: Getting out of rabbits? :eek:verreaction:

Better hang onto at least a few of those cages. Lots of people have remissions from Rabbitosis but complete cures are very rare . . . and that freezer full of rabbit meat won't last forever. :dinner:

They sound like great rabbits and they have certainly done well for you. It's kind of you to offer them to our fellow RT members first.

Looking forward to hearing more about your channel cat project in Our Other Animals.

So don't be a stranger, okay?

:yeahthat:

I was talking about raising catfish the other day with hubby. Don't really intend to do it, but they are neat (and we love fish)! I'd love to hear about your setup and how they do.

Looking forward to hearing more about your channel cat project in Our Other Animals.

So don't be a stranger, okay?

I'd love to hear about your setup and how they do.

I've really enjoyed the rabbits and may well get back into it again. I especially like the Florida Whites due to their smaller size. And since I have a reliable source for quality replacements it won't be hard to get started again.

But I've been kicking around the idea of building a pond for several years. Trouble is, there's a major expense to getting set up. Our property is mostly Tivoli Fine sands so I'd have to use a liner. That adds cost, complications and higher maintenance.

Then I considered using indoor tanks in a storage building. In my area the greatest concern is summer heat and I could do some climate control in a heavily insulated building with a split-system air conditioner unit.

My wife actually gave her blessing to my building a pond but I just can't justify the expense nor do I have time for the extra maintenance.

Then she came up with the idea of putting the catfish tank inside the rabbit hutch. It's 12 feet wide and 24 feet long with 8 foot walls. The whole thing is covered with shade cloth. I add a layer of white greenhouse plastic over the shadecloth in the winter and it's worked great for the rabbits. I also installed an evaporative A/C unit with ductwork directing cool air into half of each cage. That way the rabbits can move into or out of the cool air as they please.

I'm thinking I'll excavate a good sized "pit" inside the shadehouse and line it with an EPDM pond liner. If I shape the bottom into a steep "V" I can easily vaccuum debris from the bottom to keep the mini-pond clean. And being both in-ground and inside the shadehouse (no direct sunlight on tank sides or on the water surface) will make it easier to keep the water cool.

Channel cats can handle warm water but they'll do better if I can keep summer temperatures down.

The other advantage is that you can get as much as one pound of meat for every two pounds of feed with catfish. That's a pretty good feed conversion ratio.

But the first step is to find a good home for this trio of Florida Whites. And I am serious about setting someone up if they can assure a good home for them. Rabbits, cages, all the equipment and a fair amount of high-quallity Timothy hay.

I'll post some photos and keep you updated as I get things going with the catfish.

Thanks Everyone!

Randy

So wish I lived closer you are very kind and generous all the best for your next project. Will follow your progress with interest.

Hey SuburbanHomesteader... If you're truly interested I could arrange to meet you halfway.

Please don't feel pressured at all. Even halfway is a 4 1/2 to 5-hour drive so I totally understand. But, IF you really were interested...

I do tower work all over Kansas. Sometimes I get calls from Wichita, Hutchinson, Emporia... That puts me pretty close to you. In fact, I have a job waiting in Beloit but haven't promised to do it since it's a small job and it's a very long drive. Makes the mileage charges a bit high for my client.

Anyway, if you are truly interested I'll work with you. I'm not in a hurry, just want to find someone who will give them proper care. And if not, I totally understand.

You'd need a pickup, empty van or trailer to haul the cages... Again, not trying to pressure you at all. Just let me know.

Thanks!

Randy

Back