Meat rabbit housing density

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianRme

Reaction score
How many Does can you house in one cage? Is it best to house breeding Does separately or can you house them 2 or 3 to a cage when they are resting between litters? I have lots of room for cages but it would help with figuring out how many cages would be necessary so I can plan a successful set up.

Yep, what Zass said. :) It's rare that two does can get along in a cage. I had a pair given to me that were raised together. I kept them together because I didn't have any room for another cage. Thankfully, they did alright, though they did have their moments. That is the rare exception, though. Frequently, they will fight rather viciously all of a sudden, or one will kill the other's kits.

How about in grow out cages? Can you combine litters in grow out cages or is it best to keep litters together? What is the optimum amount in a cage for growing them out? How many square feet do you need per rabbit to grow them to slaughter-able age? Is it 2 or 3 square feet per rabbit or more or less?

in growout cages , combining litters of kits less then 12 weeks works fine, as long as you allow enough space for the grow-out rabbits,
IMHO ,- grow-out rabbits need at very least, 30"x24" for each 8 rabbits less then 12 weeks [and at 12 weeks that is very tight, but is done commercially all the time.] --I would never consider housing does that have had a litter together, there will be damage and eventually losses. Large breed does [like NZ] need at least a 36" x 24" cage [and with a big litter that is tight.]

So for grow out it is basically 0.6 square feet per rabbit to 12 weeks. So depending on the size of the cage I can figure out how many can be safely put in each cage without worrying about overcrowding.

Thanks for your help.

Some important questions to answer first

What are you goals with your rabbits? What production numbers are you shooting for? Are you going for maximum efficiency or a particular way of raising them?

BrianRme":20vy7t7c said:
So for grow out it is basically 0.6 square feet per rabbit to 12 weeks. So depending on the size of the cage I can figure out how many can be safely put in each cage without worrying about overcrowding.

Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure but that size seems way too small. That is 86.4 square inches for a 5lb rabbit. I have 3 9 weeks old rabbits that are just under 3lbs in a single cage awaiting my completion of a 3 tier rack. They are each getting 178 square inches. If they were 5lbs and in half that size of cage I'm not sure they would fit. I'm not sure though if cage space slows growth in rabbits though.

I was just using Michael's cage measurements,

"in growout cages , combining litters of kits less then 12 weeks works fine, as long as you allow enough space for the grow-out rabbits,
IMHO ,- grow-out rabbits need at very least, 30"x24" for each 8 rabbits less then 12 weeks [and at 12 weeks that is very tight, but is done commercially all the time.] --I would never consider housing does that have had a litter together, there will be damage and eventually losses. Large breed does [like NZ] need at least a 36" x 24" cage [and with a big litter that is tight.]"

If you put 8 rabbits into a 30" x 24 " cage 0.625 square feet is how much each rabbit has.

If you put 8 rabbits into a 36" x 24 " cage 0.75 square feet is how much each rabbit has.

in a commercial rabbitry, fryers are shipped asap,[as feed conversion deteriorates rapidly after 8 weeks] the market is usually 4 to 6 lb, -with good breedstock, feed, and conditions this can usually be accomplished in 8 weeks, My grow-out pens were designed for early weening [rabbits weened a few days, or weeks before market day, or-to hold slow rabbits for a week or 3 until they were big enough to ship] or-- to hold potential breedstock until they were put in a breeder cage, sold, or shipped [culled].-- If I had 12 week old rabbits in a growout cage-- it was because there were extrordinary circumstances, or I was not keeping up with my work load. [or the buyer for the breedstock rabbits was late taking delivery]-- anyway-- it was rare that I had a pen full of large [10, or 12 week old rabbits.]At 12 weeks some bucks will start to breed,and fight, and and that is never a good thing. if the rabbits are sexed, and seperated, does can be housed together for a little while if you have to-- but-- I like to get does their own space ASAP after 12 weeks [even if it is a half cage, -I had a row of 18x24 cages for holding young breedstock] -- any way-- that was my program, and it worked for me---

I am planning to grow out this year in larger enclosures, with more rabbits housed together. Large enclosed colonies instead of raised wire cages. However, one thing has me thinking. If my weanlings are all housed together, I will probably experience more loss in the case of disease or predation. Has anyone had this experience?

Schipperkesue":f9c2rmri said:
I am planning to grow out this year in larger enclosures, with more rabbits housed together. Large enclosed colonies instead of raised wire cages. However, one thing has me thinking. If my weanlings are all housed together, I will probably experience more loss in the case of disease or predation. Has anyone had this experience?

Mixing older groups of fryers will lend itself to a free-for-all while the
group re-establishes their pecking order. Sometimes, it gets really bloody.
I've considered constructing huge, over-sized cages just for the purpose
you mentioned. It would be easier to house a group this way,
in lieu of smaller cages. But, stress may well reduce their immune systems,
giving way to health issues. I may still give it a whirl. But as the group
nears market weight, there's a whole lot of humpin' and ridin' goin' on.

grumpy":2llbi1yf said:
I may still give it a whirl. But as the group
nears market weight, there's a whole lot of humpin' and ridin' goin' on.

Mental picture gave me my morning giggle!

Grumpy, I am hoping to only have same-aged bucks and same-aged does in separate grow outs. They will all be transferred in at the same time and fingers crossed...this will prevent that bloody free for all.

I am also liking this idea from an enjoyment point of view. If I can get into those cages and sit and enjoy my bunnies hop around me, this will be a positive thing for my mental health! Much more so than my raised wire cages.

I have a 6' x 12' grow out pen. It worked well for a few mos, but mine do not mature that fast. Around 4 mos I have to start taking buns out. I think the max I had i there was 8. They sure are a whole lot friendlier in the grow out pen.

Schipperkesue":6kx2imhz said:

I cage raise, but from reading the posts here on RT, coccidia seems to be the thing you will have to worry about most.

Latest posts

Back