Meat Rabbit Cages

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueskat

Reaction score
I am going to start building my first meat rabbit wire cages. I am thinking 24 wide and to keep it all the same 24 high. Starting with 4 cages with a length of 30-36 inch depending on what will be in them. I am thinking of 2 hole or 4 hole cages. My plan is to build 3 side the full length. On the front door side between the 2 holes leave a 3-4 inch opening to put hay between the cages. This would give me a hay rack between each cage and separate the 2 rabbits a little to help cut down on the spray. I will build a hutch type rack to slide the cages in. I have never seen the cages build with a hay rack between hole in one cage. I thought this was a good idea but, not sure if I am missing a problem because I have never seen it done. Any thoughts from cage builders?

We bought ours after pricing out the cost of materials and the time involved. Our buns are Silver Foxes, so they mature at pretty good sized rabbits. We went with 24 x 36 cages to give them enough room to move around a bit. They're only 18" high, and I wish it were a bit more, but I think it'll be okay. We have a trio and each rabbit has his/her own cage. We'll have the other 3 as grow out cages when we have litters. They might be a bit on the small side, but since they won't be living in them permanently, I do believe they'll be just fine.

blueskat":yl7hkbfr said:
I am going to start building my first meat rabbit wire cages. I am thinking 24 wide and to keep it all the same 24 high. Starting with 4 cages with a length of 30-36 inch depending on what will be in them. I am thinking of 2 hole or 4 hole cages. My plan is to build 3 side the full length. On the front door side between the 2 holes leave a 3-4 inch opening to put hay between the cages. This would give me a hay rack between each cage and separate the 2 rabbits a little to help cut down on the spray. I will build a hutch type rack to slide the cages in. I have never seen the cages build with a hay rack between hole in one cage. I thought this was a good idea but, not sure if I am missing a problem because I have never seen it done. Any thoughts from cage builders?

i just put this 4-hole together.

3E43J33He5N95L35Edd2338f149eec7ec1ee6.jpg

3G33K43F55K95Fa5J3d23a831538ece0f17e0.jpg

3Ed3Ge3Fc5I45L75Ecd2322a0c19166e01fed.jpg

Each hole measures 18H 24W 36L. top wire is 1"x1.5" 14ga galvy/side and bottom wire is 1x1/2" 14ga galvy. Each hole comes with a 32oz top open waterer, 7.5' combo grass/pellet feeder and each hole comes with a nest (16x8). The rabbitry can be set up anywhere that is 5'x7'.

Hi Blueskat!

:welcomewagon:

I have seen a couple of different designs with hay racks. One made a 'V' shaped rack by angling the wire between standard rectangular cages. Another was with back-to-back Quonset style cages. Quonset style cage image:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Quonset ... B600%3B450

:hi: hillbottom!

Nice job on your cages. :) It looks like the center of gravity is low enough that tipping in high winds hopefully wont be an issue.

I am a bit concerned about how they are out in the open- that looks like coyote country. Have you considered the possibility of predators in your area?

MamaSheepdog":116216h4 said:
:hi: hillbottom!

Nice job on your cages. :) It looks like the center of gravity is low enough that tipping in high winds hopefully wont be an issue.

I am a bit concerned about how they are out in the open- that looks like coyote country. Have you considered the possibility of predators in your area?

Hi MSD - these i sell on CL. My rabbits are well protected. Two llamas also patrol alongside 2 dogs.

here's the rabbitry set up

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3C9%3Evq%3D3378%3E76%3B%3E589%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C759563233%3Avq0mrj

Hillbottom,
I love the pictures. That gives me an idea. I think I need mine farther off the ground but, I think I can work with this. My real question is if I can build in a slot to cram hay into the front of the cages.
Thanks

Nice set up Hillbottom! It looks like you have a pretty big operation!

Glad to hear you have dogs and guard llamas... "Coyotes! Back off, or we will spit upon you!" :lol:

Just kidding- I know they are effective. :)

Is that enough shade for rabbits? I love your little setup, looks awesome. I can't tell from the picture where your hay racks are though? (Probably my eyes, I feel like I am blind these days). I am intrigued by the idea of a shared hay rack, sounds like a great space saver.

hillbottom":eh3rn6aa said:
blueskat":eh3rn6aa said:

i just put this 4-hole together.

3E43J33He5N95L35Edd2338f149eec7ec1ee6.jpg

3G33K43F55K95Fa5J3d23a831538ece0f17e0.jpg

3Ed3Ge3Fc5I45L75Ecd2322a0c19166e01fed.jpg

Each hole measures 18H 24W 36L. top wire is 1"x1.5" 14ga galvy/side and bottom wire is 1x1/2" 14ga galvy. Each hole comes with a 32oz top open waterer, 7.5' combo grass/pellet feeder and each hole comes with a nest (16x8). The rabbitry can be set up anywhere that is 5'x7'.

Nice job on the cages! Couple of suggestions on the frame...1) Raise the cages up higher. It will be easier for you to deal with and farther away from any predators that happen to be prowling around. I usually hang them where the bottom of the cages is approximately waist high. 2) Extend the roof panels. You don't want direct sunlight on the rabbits at all, especially since you are in a hot climate.<br /><br />__________ Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:57 am __________<br /><br />
blueskat":eh3rn6aa said:

Welcome, blueskat! Fellow Texan here... :cowboy: Depending on where you are located, you might find someone to make them for you cheaper. What part of Texas are you from? Generally, cages are wider than they are deep and 18" high. That is plenty tall enough for most commercial meat breeds. My doe cages are 36w x 30d x 18H with babysaver wire. Some only do 24d, but I am tall with long arms and I put LARGE doors on my cages, situated right in the middle of the front, so reaching the corners is not an issue for me. I have litter grow out cages that are 30 x 30 and then some cages that are 18 x 30 for extra bucks or individual rabbits that I am growing out. If you can hang your cages instead of putting them on a rack, it will be much easier to keep clean. You just let the poop fall to the ground, the urine drains off, no smell.

Hillbottom,
I am outside of Austin between Elgin and Bastrop. Where are you? Yes after looking at some plans I am going to hang the cages. I plan on 6-12 cages and start with 3-4 rabbits. So I think I am going to go with 30x36x18 cages. I could go a little smaller on a few but, for the few cages that I need the price is not that big of savings.

Latest posts

Back