meat mutts on natural feed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Couldn't decide whether to put this in meat or natural feed so came here instead.
Yesterday the first of our 2 fall litters was at 12 weeks. Weighed the 8 kits and they averaged 5 pounds, which I know some folks expect to reach in 8 weeks, but it's the best we've done yet. We always weigh at 12 weeks but often wait another week or 2 to get the weight to about 5 pounds. So we've kept 2 does from the litter (which means that the does we kept from earlier litters need to go--these are better rabbits from a better litter). Checked the 3 "does" we'd kept and found that one had been visited by the sex change fairy. Glad that was the one that was caged alone--the 2 that are still does were caged together because they were littermates.
But I'm wondering what accounts for this litter doing so well. Could it be a) time of year b) age of doe--do rabbits, like goats, produce more milk each lactation until they reach peak production? c) feed
The timing of our litters worked well for us this year. Had the most early in the growing season when there was lots of fast growing forage, then the fall litters when there were root crops and cover crops from the garden. We've never fed pellets nor alfalfa (which is often the basis of rabbit diet). In addition to forage, they get grass/clover hay year round and willow, fresh or dried. Nursing does and growing kits get whole grain--wheat or oats, and BOSS in really cold weather or for nursing does. This year we fed more kale than ever before and also some forage chicory that we planted. Otherwise I think the feeding has been similar, but there is always quite a bit of variety and some change over the course of the seasons. Every cage has a chunk of the salt block we buy for the goats.
Have also noticed lately when checking backbones that the adults (none pregnant or nursing now) are all maintaining a good weight on just hay and dried willow and small amount of green stuff. That surprised us. I figure they'll need more when the cold settles in and they'll get some fodder starting in a few days when the first tray is ready. But these mutts seem to stay healthier and happier on this diet than the NZWs we started with. I'm pleased to have all breeding stock now that was raised on this diet and hoping this litter wasn't a fluke but an indication that we're moving in a good direction.

Congratulations on your bigger rabbits!! It's always great to see a rabbitry goal reached!!

IMO, I'd still keep the grow outs from this year, despite the varying factors. Keep a journal of their growth (including season, weather, food) so you can compare it to your next generation. You may have hit the genetic jackpot this year!!!

EnglishSpot":m0yv7mok said:
Congratulations on your bigger rabbits!! It's always great to see a rabbitry goal reached!!

IMO, I'd still keep the grow outs from this year, despite the varying factors. Keep a journal of their growth (including season, weather, food) so you can compare it to your next generation. You may have hit the genetic jackpot this year!!!

I am keeping 2 does from the best litter. Just not keeping the ones saved out earlier now that I have better ones to replace them. I know some would keep all 4 and try them for a litter but I see a possibility of raging rabbitosis in that direction. I know I want litters from my 2 proven does and would run out of cage space if I had litters from all 4 juniors next spring. Just wish I understood better which factors influenced the growth rate of this litter.

But I'm wondering what accounts for this litter doing so well. Could it be a) time of year b) age of doe--do rabbits, like goats, produce more milk each lactation until they reach peak production? c) feed

Hard to say for sure, but I think spring and fall litters generally tend to do better. In summer, heat can make the appetites drop off and in winter the rabbits use more energy staying warm.

That said, since these particular rabbits are growing faster than spring and fall rabbits from the past, I think you have probably successfully selected for growth rate and for the ability to do well on forage. As you noted, the NZWs don't do as well on forage as meat mutts. I'd say you should keep on in the direction you're going and you may well see more improvement over time.

Back