Meat Guinea Pig Project

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izroion

Reaction score
This is the offical start of my meat guinea pig project! Aka, a city girls attempt at urban farming lmao Today I recived my first pair of sows, an American and an Abyssinian. The white is named Piglet and the brown is Bully (as she's apparently a bit rude). These are the names from the previous owners kids. I also got their bowls, water bottle, two bags of feed, leftover bedding and some hay. All for free. They delivered them as well! She was not sure what age they were. She guessed nearing two years. Hopefully I can find a boar or two around here before too long. I don't have my main pen set up yet but I'll poat pictures when I do. I'll probably use this cage as a growout, or sick cage once the main one is up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-05-26-15-29-14.png
    Screenshot_2021-05-26-15-29-14.png
    529.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 16220709247877556936119559718394.jpg
    16220709247877556936119559718394.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 8
Have these sows been bred before?

If not you want to be very very careful about breeding them.

Guinea pig sows should be bred before 1 year old otherwise they loose the elasticity in the pelvis and have trouble passing pups. Just something you might want to look into.

Great project idea. I would love to have meat guinea pigs. In fact I have a small herd that I started breeding. Unfortunately my other half decided that Guinea Pigs are pets and not food. He likes all the sounds they make. So they are just compost makers for us now.

Maybe one day!

Have these sows been bred before?

If not you want to be very very careful about breeding them.

Guinea pig sows should be bred before 1 year old otherwise they loose the elasticity in the pelvis and have trouble passing pups. Just something you might want to look into.

Great project idea. I would love to have meat guinea pigs. In fact I have a small herd that I started breeding. Unfortunately my other half decided that Guinea Pigs are pets and not food. He likes all the sounds they make. So they are just compost makers for us now.

Maybe one day!
I do know about the pelvis issue, if I can get some younger sows by the time I have a boar than I'll avoid breeding this pair. They really are lovely little animals! However the kinds of "live stock" I can have in town are limited, which is why I turned to these guys.

Small update, the pigs are now in a larger cage and have been moved outside to the rabbit garage. I had noticed that they seemed to be "fighting" (Rumbling/chasing) a bit in the small one and incuded two hides so they could have a bit more space away from each other. They seem to get along better in the larger area as I haven't noticed any chasing or rumbling.

Attachments

• 20210529_201431.jpg
    20210529_201431.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 12
I experimented with Guinea Pigs for meat a few years ago. They were delicious. Looking forward to seeing some updates once you begin breeding them.

"Guinea pig sows should be bred before 1 year old otherwise they lose the elasticity in the pelvis and have trouble passing pups. Just something you might want to look into."

I have never noticed this. I bred guinea pigs for years, many that came in as rescues of unknown age. 99% of them pupped without issue. Any that had issue was usually due to body build issues. I learned to check over their confirmation before adding them to my herd. Any that didn't meet good health standards (broad, bigger pigs) were either petted out or went as food for the cats.

This is the offical start of my meat guinea pig project! Aka, a city girls attempt at urban farming lmao Today I recived my first pair of sows, an American and an Abyssinian. The white is named Piglet and the brown is Bully (as she's apparently a bit rude). These are the names from the previous owners kids. I also got their bowls, water bottle, two bags of feed, leftover bedding and some hay. All for free. They delivered them as well! She was not sure what age they were. She guessed nearing two years. Hopefully I can find a boar or two around here before too long. I don't have my main pen set up yet but I'll poat pictures when I do. I'll probably use this cage as a growout, or sick cage once the main one is up.
What kinda feed do you feed them

Small update, the pigs are now in a larger cage and have been moved outside to the rabbit garage. I had noticed that they seemed to be "fighting" (Rumbling/chasing) a bit in the small one and incuded two hides so they could have a bit more space away from each other. They seem to get along better in the larger area as I haven't noticed any chasing or rumbling.
Pigs and rabbits can catch illnesses from each other. Probably not a good idea to keep them in the same place.

Latest posts

Back