Maybe 2 males do increase litter size !!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckcs

Reaction score
My last 7 litters have been 0-3 kits. With only 1 litter having 3. Previously I would get 3-6 kits per litter. These are Lionheads btw. Last breeding I decided to use 2 bucks on each doe. I sell for the pet market so knowing for sure who was the father is not a big issue. Plus I can make an educated guess based on past colors. 2 does that I bred kindled this morning. First doe had 5 but only 4 survived. 3 of the 4 are extremely small. I've had tiny kits before and they made it, so I am hoping that holds true for this litter. The other doe had 6 fat and healthy babies.

Obviously this could just be coincidence, but the other girls that I have to breed will be getting an extra date. One doe in particular has consistently had 3 kits in every litter (4 or 5 litters) so I look forward to seeing if she has a big litter. I also found it easy to get multiple mounting done. By the time she was done with the 2nd buck, the 1st was just about ready to go again.

ckcs":2wakqzxq said:
My last 7 litters have been 0-3 kits. With only 1 litter having 3. Previously I would get 3-6 kits per litter. These are Lionheads btw. Last breeding I decided to use 2 bucks on each doe. I sell for the pet market so knowing for sure who was the father is not a big issue. Plus I can make an educated guess based on past colors. 2 does that I bred kindled this morning. First doe had 5 but only 4 survived. 3 of the 4 are extremely small. I've had tiny kits before and they made it, so I am hoping that holds true for this litter. The other doe had 6 fat and healthy babies.

Obviously this could just be coincidence, but the other girls that I have to breed will be getting an extra date. One doe in particular has consistently had 3 kits in every litter (4 or 5 litters) so I look forward to seeing if she has a big litter. I also found it easy to get multiple mounting done. By the time she was done with the 2nd buck, the 1st was just about ready to go again.

I don't know if it does increase litter size for sure but It would make sense. I was going to say that I've a friend who's proven the two bucks can father one litter thing (although she says if they're the same breed the father guessing game is hard lol) so it makes absolute sense to say that two bucks may in fact increase litter size.

I've heard that it does, but it doesn't really make any sense.

Does are induced ovulators, but only the follicles that are large enough to "burst" can release eggs... so it doesn't matter how many times she is covered, or by whom, there are only so many eggs that are ready at any given time. :?

Maybe sperm are pickier than we thought and are only attracted to certain eggs! ;)

MamaSheepdog":opm59myf said:
I've heard that it does, but it doesn't really make any sense.

Does are induced ovulators, but only the follicles that are large enough to "burst" can release eggs... so it doesn't matter how many times she is covered, or by whom, there are only so many eggs that are ready at any given time. :?

Maybe sperm are pickier than we thought and are only attracted to certain eggs! ;)

It's possible that they're "pickier" or maybe one buck's sperm is a little weaker and doesn't cover the playing field? The extra breedings with that buck or another buck may hit every target.

I guess that's the way I wanted to word that...
I know what I'm trying to say so I hope you guys do too. lol

Latest posts

Back