Maternal and paternal traits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6riversfarms

Reaction score
I read somewhere that fur density may be inherited more from the sire and fur texture from the dam. Maybe it was in the Storeys book by Bob Bennett?

Anyway, are there other inherited traits that are controlled more by either the paternal or maternal genes?

6riversfarms":27bc2dg3 said:
I read somewhere that fur density may be inherited more from the sire and fur texture from the dam. Maybe it was in the Storeys book by Bob Bennett?

Anyway, are there other inherited traits that are controlled more by either the paternal or maternal genes?

I've never heard that one before, and as a breeder of a fur breed I'd be interested in whether that's true.

Litter size is highly inheritable from the doe, though it is still said to look for a buck whose dam threw large litters as well.

I went and found my source. I am para-phrasing but it says that he bred does with great texture to bucks with great density and that was the way he got the most offspring with good fur.

6riversfarms":2kp26if6 said:
I went and found my source. I am para-phrasing but it says that he bred does with great texture to bucks with great density and that was the way he got the most offspring with good fur.

Nothing to say it can't work the other way around. The buck just got was used with does that have softer fur to give better texture.

skysthelimit":1h217rpa said:
6riversfarms":1h217rpa said:

Nothing to say it can't work the other way around. The buck just got was used with does that have softer fur to give better texture.

That is what I was thinking too after reading it again. I broke out some of my biology textbooks. I think that the sorting of genes is random. I am gonna do some light reading after supper. :shock:

It will be very interesting to see. I'm guessing prepotency applies to rabbits like it does to dogs, so the strength of the transmission is in the pedigree of the animal, not necessarily the gender. There are very few sex linked traits that I can think of, the only one being split penises.

Latest posts

Back