material for rabbit cages

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjlattimore88

Reaction score
im looking to build more cages but i dont want to use the same stuff again im using hardware cloth right now,what is the best type of wire to build the all wire cages out of, dimensions to if you have any ideas

I use the welded wire for the sides and top that is 1"x1/2" and the hardware cloth for the bottom that one is 1/2"x1/2". I tend to make for the small rabbits 24"x24" and the big rabbits get 36"x36" I use for all JR rabbits the 30"x36"

hardware cloth isn't great for floors. Check into buying floor wire...it's heavier, stronger, and the 1/2x1" wire is good for most breeds (although the super dwarf breeds perhaps?)

We use 1x2" "cage wire" for the sides and top for the all wire cages. The thicker the gauge, the stronger your cage will be. Also look for "galvanized AFTER weld" if possible. (it's pricier) the wire will be more rust resistant.

Anntann":1uzc2d5z said:
hardware cloth isn't great for floors. Check into buying floor wire...it's heavier, stronger, and the 1/2x1" wire is good for most breeds (although the super dwarf breeds perhaps?)

We use 1x2" "cage wire" for the sides and top for the all wire cages. The thicker the gauge, the stronger your cage will be. Also look for "galvanized AFTER weld" if possible. (it's pricier) the wire will be more rust resistant.

I bought mine from Klubertanz, 1x1/2 14g Galv after weld for the floor and 2x1 14g Galv after weld with babysaver bottoms for the sides, front, back. Plain 2x1 14g Galv after weld for the tops. Makes a good sturdy cage

Latest posts

Back