Mastitis

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
So I have a doe that would be doing good
except she's sat on 4 of 6 kits (that next box is getting trashed, she actually a very good doe)

she was developing consolidations/congestion in her teats, that's the stage before mastitis
so I decided to see if I had the stuff to help her out, I started out trying a breast pump piston and bottle necked down with a infant nipple placed in the bottle head?? to give a seal, that didn't work, I got some milk but it's hard, I mean your pumping and pumping

so I went to plan D
I had a large syringe I was going to try to use by putting the medicine bottle stopper (white thing is for drawing childrens liquid medicine) in the pump bottle head for a seal using the syringe body to seal over the bunnies teat. well I reversed it and it work, that's off 3 teats

Now shes getting mauled, er hugged by the boys for all her good work, I hope doesn't get mastitis, ABX and babies don't work well.

Attachments

• DSC02334.JPG
    DSC02334.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 440
  • DSC02335.JPG
    DSC02335.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 440
  • DSC02336.JPG
    DSC02336.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 440
My doe was in the beginning stages, not eating, the teat was congested. I did wind up hand squeezing out a lot of chunky milk for three days. Gave her a shot of tylan and she cleared up pretty well. This is will be her fifth litter. If it happens this litter I'm going to pet her out.

this doe would have been fine if she QUIT SITTING ON THE BABIES
GRRR

On a side note, what do I do with an ounce of bunny milk?

Jack":15yk9kfk said:
this doe would have been fine if she QUIT SITTING ON THE BABIES
GRRR

On a side note, what do I do with an ounce of bunny milk?

That is a good question. If it's something on the verge of mastitis, and supposedly that's caused by strep or staph, them you wouldn't want to do anything with it, as it is a bacteria that can be passed around. It may not harm the kits, they can nurse from the infected teat, but they can spread the bacteria to any doe that may foster them.

you can freeze it to mix with a formula at a later date, if you think you will ever hand feed a kit (a kit that will never be nursing on a doe again). Don't keep it too long though. If not, then feed to a dog or cat for a treat (if they are used to getting treats), or throw it out. It will have a high somatic cell count, but that is not bad for an animal to drink.

If it's a potential mastitis case feed the milk to the kits on the doe or dispose of it. Don't give it to any others and don't store it.

Back